If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
NDroho
Course Students

Error in Question Bank?

by NDroho Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:37 pm

I apologize in advanced if this question has already been addressed, but I can't seem to find it:

T is a set of y integers, where 0 < y < 7. If the average of Set T is the positive integer x, which of the following could NOT be the median of Set T?

a) 0
b) X
c) -X
d) (1/3)y
e) (2/7)y

I picked A and spent maybe 20 seconds on it. Why? Well if Y has to be between 1 and 6, then it is impossible for it to have a median of 0.

Well the answer is E (2/7)y. Explanation for why A is wrong is:

One approach to this problem is to try to create a Set T that consists of up to 6 integers and has a median equal to a particular answer choice.

A) The set {-1, 0, 4) yields a median of 0. Answer choice A can be eliminated....

But how can a set include -1 or 0 if it is bound by 0 < y < 7?? Am I reading this wrong or is this an error?
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: Error in Question Bank?

by jlucero Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:07 pm

NDroho Wrote:I apologize in advanced if this question has already been addressed, but I can't seem to find it:

T is a set of y integers, where 0 < y < 7. If the average of Set T is the positive integer x, which of the following could NOT be the median of Set T?

a) 0
b) X
c) -X
d) (1/3)y
e) (2/7)y

I picked A and spent maybe 20 seconds on it. Why? Well if Y has to be between 1 and 6, then it is impossible for it to have a median of 0.

Well the answer is E (2/7)y. Explanation for why A is wrong is:

One approach to this problem is to try to create a Set T that consists of up to 6 integers and has a median equal to a particular answer choice.

A) The set {-1, 0, 4) yields a median of 0. Answer choice A can be eliminated....

But how can a set include -1 or 0 if it is bound by 0 < y < 7?? Am I reading this wrong or is this an error?

Yes, you are misreading the question. Notice that the question says that T is a set of y integers. T could be a set of 4 integers, but it doesn't say anything about what those integers are (they could all be zero for example).

Because the median of an odd number of integers would be the middle integer and the median of an even number of integers would be either an integer or an integer plus one-half, answer choice E would never give us an integer or an integer plus one-half so long as y is between 0 and 7.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor