Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
SaraP735
Students

Ebook- answer to a question seems wrong

by SaraP735 Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi,
This is regarding Ebook- Algebra- chapter6 problem set- question 5

It is a data sufficiency question and the Ebooks answer is E. However, I added both equations given in 1 and 2, and factored both sides which gives the simple X(1+Y)=4(1+Y) and therefore the terms in brackets cancel and it will give x=4. Is there anything wrong in this solution?

I am suspecting canceling the terms in bracket might not be allowed for some reason, which is why my answer is different from the book.

I appreciate if someone helps me.

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Ebook- answer to a question seems wrong

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 am

hi,
welcome to the forum -- but, please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before posting!

• this is the wrong folder for your current question.
MPrep materials have their own folders: one folder each for quant and verbal CAT exam problems, and one folder each for quant and verbal problems from all other MPrep materials.

• when you post a question, you need to post the ENTIRE text of the problem, EXACTLY as originally provided.
——if the original problem has answer choices, you must reproduce ALL of those choices (exactly as originally provided), and indicate which answer choice is correct as per the original source.
——if you're quoting an answer key, you must reproduce that part of the answer key, too.

__

this thread is now locked. please post your question correctly according to the forum rules, in the correct folder.
thank you.