Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Each year companies in United States could save as much as

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 am

anubhavgilhotra Wrote:hi

Can you please explain why preventing is a gerund and how come improving is not a gerund.

no rules for this kind of thing; this is the sort of stuff that is inherent in the meaning of the sentence (which you should understand regardless of whether the sentence is correctly written).

example:
i like singing birds.
i like singing songs.

these are not the same; "singing" is a gerund in the second sentence, but not in the first. do you understand why?

I have read the post but was not able to understand. Secondly how can we parallel preventing illness - through improved worker performance.

Thanks

the core of the parallel construction is "save... and gain..." -- so those are the two things that absolutely must be written in the same way.

on the other hand, it appears you think that everything attached to those constructions -- modifiers and so on -- must also be written exactly in parallel.
that's definitely not true; if that were true, it would be basically impossible to write any sort of parallel construction with a decent amount of descriptive language in it.
as long as the core components of the parallel constructions are actually parallel -- noun versus noun, verb versus verb, or whatever -- then you can modify them however you want.
for instance:
i have a car and a truck.
i have a car and a big truck.
i have a car and a big, rusty old truck whose odometer has over 300,000 miles on it.

all of these sentences contain proper parallelism.
zhongshanlh
Forum Guests

by zhongshanlh Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 am

Ron and manhattan experts, please help.

i got stuck in option A.

besides the redundancy, is there anything else wrong in option A?

actually, i am wondering if it is better to use "...through improving..." ,because that construction parallel better with the construction "by preventing".

thanks in advance.
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:17 pm

you should never ask what is "better" to use; instead, you should focus on finding grammar errors in the wrong choices. A's biggest problem is with the pronoun "they", which is unclear..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:48 am

Why don't we have the full question posted on the forum?
Also, why don't we have all the answer choices discussed here?

here's the full question. Ron, could you please explain each answer choice (why the choices are wrong/right):

Each year companies in United States could save as much as $58 billion annually by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided offices with cleaner air.

(A) Same
(B) annually if they prevented employee illness and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
(C) annually in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through worker performance improved by simply providing
(D) in employee illness prevention and gain as much as $200 billion through improving performance of workers if they simply provided
(E) by preventing illness among employees and gain as much as $200 billion through improved worker performance if they simply provided
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 am

what makes you think the full question isn't posted? and no we won't just discuss all the wrong answers for the fun of it, because our priority is to help answer specific questions students have. :) if you have something you don't understand about why one of the wrong answers is wrong, let us know and we will help you with it..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am

tim Wrote:what makes you think the full question isn't posted? and no we won't just discuss all the wrong answers for the fun of it, because our priority is to help answer specific questions students have. :) if you have something you don't understand about why one of the wrong answers is wrong, let us know and we will help you with it..

Oh, I checked again after reading your msg & I'm still not able to view the whole question except in my own post. I guess the site must be designed to show the last few msges.

I normally find reasons (of accepting/rejecting) to all the choices since different people have difference points of confusion.
Anywho, I had over-looked the redundant "annually" and that's why was v confused between the choices. That's why was looking for explanations to all the choices.
Thanks anyways.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:40 am

no problem. and you may notice that somewhere on the page it says "page 2 of 2". you can click "1" or "previous" and it will take you to the first page, where the full question is posted. please keep this in mind for other threads that you visit..
Tim Sanders

divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 am

tim Wrote:no problem. and you may notice that somewhere on the page it says "page 2 of 2". you can click "1" or "previous" and it will take you to the first page, where the full question is posted. please keep this in mind for other threads that you visit..

:)
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:33 pm

:)
Tim Sanders

HanzZ
Students

by HanzZ Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 am

Hello Tim,

Could you please explain why 'they' in choice a is ambiguous? Only 'companies' is in the subject position as 'they' is. Both 'employees' and 'workers' are in a prepositional phrase.

Thanks a lot.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 am

I can't find a record of anyone claiming the pronoun is ambiguous. What makes you think it is?
Tim Sanders

lindaliu9273
Prospective Students

by lindaliu9273 Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi instructors,

Can someone explain whether there's other errors in ABC besides "annually"?

Here's what I think:
(a) nothing wrong besides annually.
(b)"through worker performance improved". should through be followed by doing ?
(c)"in employee illness prevention " change the meaning.
(d)"in employee illness prevention " change the meaning.

Please help me figure out whether the analysis is correct.

Thanks a lot!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Nothing that you need to worry about. A, B, and C all have little wording issues that would probably not be the deciding factor on a GMAT question. What that means is that regardless of what might be wrong with A, B, and C aside from the "annually", you should never even look at them. Although part of what you should be learning is how to spot errors, it is also important to learn which errors are worth spotting. Training yourself to identify the biggest errors and then NOT EVEN READ THE REST OF THE WORDS IN THE ANSWER CHOICE will be incredibly beneficial in terms of both speed and accuracy.
Tim Sanders

AllenY389
Forum Guests

by AllenY389 Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:39 pm

;)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00 pm

looks like everything's good here. if there are any further questions, go ahead and ask.