Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
smandke84
Forum Guests

During the past decade, the labor market in France has not..

by smandke84 Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 pm

During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

A) principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers
B) principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers
C) principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing
D) principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled
E) principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

OA is E. Why is B not the correct answer? I am not sure why B is said to have 2 independent clauses..
smandke84
Forum Guests

Re: During the past decade, the labor market in France has not..

by smandke84 Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Experts, can you please take a look at this?

I donot understand how the clause beginning with instead can be a "single sentence"
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm not sure how I can convince you, other than to show you it as a separate sentence:

During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles.

Instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers.

"It has been functioning in a stifled manner." Subject + Verb, means we have a full second sentence. Instead is simply an adverb that acts as a qualifier. It would be not different than starting a sentence with "lately" or "rather".
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
JiakangH700
Students

by JiakangH700 Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am

It looks like B is a run-on sentence, "instead" is not a conjunction
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

That, indeed, is correct.