The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
DonewithGMAT

DonewithGMAT

by DonewithGMAT Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:36 pm

Just took the test and got a 710 (50Q, 36V)

I took the 9-week course.

My practice scores:

MGMAT CAT 1: 610
MGMAT CAT 2: 670
MGMAT CAT 3: 690
MGMAT CAT 4: 710
GMATPrep: 740

Observations:

1) Quant on real thing is MUCH easier despite what the MGMAT instructors will tell you. However, the curve is the same. MGMAT quant is too hard and not reflective of the real thing and makes a big difference from a timing standpoint.

2) Verbal is comparable but I didn't improve my verbal score at all for some reason.
mdinerstein
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mdinerstein Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 pm

First off, congrats on the score! A 710 is extremely strong, and we're glad that we could help you improve your score.
To address some of your concerns, the quant portion of our prep program is not designed to be more or less difficult than the real exam, but rather exactly like the real thing. Perhaps you perceived some of our materials to be more difficult due to your high quant breakdown or are judging by the challenge problems we offer students. In the latter case, these problems, we recognize, will challenge your math skills a little bit beyond the scope of the exam, but we also believe that by doing so keeps especially adept math students on their toes while preparing for the test.
As for your verbal score, I'm sorry that you didn't see an improvement in your verbal score. If you would like, e-mail studentservices@manhattangmat.com and we can provide you with a free post-exam assessment to address this issue. While your handle suggests the opposite, if you are planning on taking the GMAT again, this is an invaluable tool to gaining insight into your test-taking style and learning how to go forward with prep.
Of course, a 710 is a great score, so I'm not sure if taking the exam again would be worth the trouble!
If you have any other concerns, please let us know.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Student Services Representative

by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Hmmm, well I can definitely appreciate the intent. But I can tell you, if you ask anyone on this forum who scored decently in math, the actual GMAT quant is a lot easier as a whole.

But, that being said I took a MGMAT quant section right before the test so that the actual GMAT would feel easier to me.