If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

Divisibility and Primes Advanced Strategy

by MdAbuAsad Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 am

Source: Manhattan GMAT, 4th edition!, Chapter 10, Page# 128.

Question: if a/b yields a remainder of 5, c/d yields a remainder of 8, and a, b, c and d are all integers, what is the smallest possible value for b+d?

if a=17, b=6, then remainder is 5
also, if a=26, d=9, then remainder is 8.
Calculation:
Here, b=6 and d=9. So, b+d=6+9,
So, b+d=15 (possible lowest value of b+d according to Manhattan GMAT solution)
Again,
Here, b=6 means b>5 (as b is an integer)
d=9 means d>8 (since d is an integer)
Now, adding the two inequalities we get:
b>5 + d>8
b+d>13 (which is exactly b+d=14)
Why do we not consider 14 as the lowest possible values of b+d?
I’ll be very glad if I get the excellent response as I always expect it from you.
Good luck Ron for every cases of your life!
Thanks…
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
tim
Course Students

Re: Divisibility and Primes Advanced Strategy

by tim Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 pm

It's a little hard to tell where the problem you're quoting ends and where your commentary begins, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around where you said b=6 means b>5. Following that logic I could also say that b>0 and d>0 so b+d>0. THIS IS TRUE, but it doesn't give the answer to the problem. Just because I've proven that b+d>0 doesn't mean that the answer is 1. You have to find the smallest value that *works*, not just the smallest value that fits some over-inclusive fact. A better way to look at this would be to say that b>=6 and d>=9, giving us b+d>=15 which actually works.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html