Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Diesel Engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than

by RonPurewal Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:56 am

also—
i've NEVER seen a well-written sentence starting with "As well as...".

if you see anything on the GMAT that starts with this sort of thing, you should be safe eliminating it.
NicoleT643
Students

by NicoleT643 Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:52 am

Hi Ron, can you please advice what is the function of emitting? Is it a V-ing modifier? Or is it just a noun which appears as V-ing?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 am

...well, it's certainly not a modifier (you should be able to tell this immediately!)—so that leaves just one of those possibilities.
NicoleT643
Students

by NicoleT643 Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:52 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:...well, it's certainly not a modifier (you should be able to tell this immediately!)—so that leaves just one of those possibilities.

Thanks Ron, you're the best!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:12 am

you're welcome.
jabgt
Students

by jabgt Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:00 am

RonPurewal Wrote:the 'torture' comment is interesting, by the way. if you consider the gmat your 'enemy', it will be impossible for you to do well on the test.

instead, you need to think of it as a game.
whenever you play a game—whether it's a sport, or a video game, or just a random spontaneous competition with friends—you're probably good at inventing strategies (usually on the spot) and at reacting to the current situation.

there are 2 reasons you're able to do these things, neither of which is 'intelligence':
1/ the fact that you're personally involved in the game,
2/ the fact that you don't hate the game.

#2 is especially important. if you decide that you hate something, you'll NEVER understand it. this goes for puzzles, people, ...anything, even your own self.

Thank you Ron Sir! I love all your general advice!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 pm

you're welcome.
liwanz606
Students

by liwanz606 Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 am

RonPurewal Wrote:the most straightforward thing in choice B:
"gas" is singular, so "far fewer of the other gas" is nonsense. (you can't have "fewer" unless you can count things, and you can't count things unless they're plural.)

Hi Ron

I came across this post. It seems Choice B's latter part is "far fewer of the other gases" , same as Choice A latter part - it's plural. Does it mean different kinds of "gas"? Is it correct?

thanks
Coral
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 am

It looks like Ron misread the sentence; let me try to clear things up. If you say "far fewer of the other gases" it means "not so many of the different types of gases". It's quite common that a noun can be used in a countable and uncountable way, with a different meaning for each one. Can you see the difference in meaning between the following sentences (both are grammatically correct)?

Shop A sells less cheese than shop B.
Shop A sells fewer cheeses than shop B.
ChloeHe
Students

by ChloeHe Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Sage Pearce-Higgins Wrote:It looks like Ron misread the sentence; let me try to clear things up. If you say "far fewer of the other gases" it means "not so many of the different types of gases". It's quite common that a noun can be used in a countable and uncountable way, with a different meaning for each one. Can you see the difference in meaning between the following sentences (both are grammatically correct)?

Shop A sells less cheese than shop B.
Shop A sells fewer cheeses than shop B.

Hi Sage,
I wonder why it says "far fewer of the other gases" instead of "far fewer the other gases".
I guess the meanings are different. "far fewer of the other gases" means "not so many of the different type of gases", while "far fewer the other gases" means "the total of the other gases is in small quantity". Is my understanding correct?

Many thanks.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 am

The phrase 'far fewer the other gases' doesn't make sense to me - there's a problem with the word 'the'. We might say 'far fewer people' or 'far fewer other gases', but we'd need 'of' before using 'the'.

In this case, the modifier 'that have been implicated...' means that we need the word 'the' before the noun. Think about these two correct sentences:
'I was bitten by a dog'
'I was bitten by the dog that lives next door.'
In the second example, the modifier 'that...' means that we're talking about a specific dog. The same applies to the gases above.