Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rte.sushil
Students

Demographers: SC

by rte.sushil Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 am

Demographers generally divide urban and suburban areas not into individual cities and towns, separated by political boundaries, but into "metropolitan statistical areas," each of which comprises multiple cities and towns with interdependent economies.

a. divide urban and suburban areas not into individual cities and towns, separated by political boundaries, but into "metropolitan statistical areas," each of which comprises multiple cities and towns with
b. do not divide urban or suburban areas into individual cities and towns, which are separated by political boundaries, but instead into "metropolitan statistical areas," each of which comprise multiple cities and towns having
c. do not divide urban and suburban areas into individual cities and towns, separated according to political boundaries, but instead group them into "metropolitan statistical areas," each of which having multiple cities and towns with
d. divide urban and suburban areas not into individual cities and towns that are separated by political boundaries, and instead into "metropolitan statistical areas," each comprising multiple cities and towns that have
e. divide urban or suburban areas not into individual cities and towns, separating them according to political boundaries; instead, they group them into "metropolitan statistical areas," each made up of multiple cities and towns having

OA: A
Manhattan Test Series

Doubt on the statement:-
"the participial modifier "having" illogically suggests a temporary state; in context, it should be understood that the economies of the cities and towns in a single metropolitan statistical area are interdependent, in a way that is essentially permanent."
Why and how it is temporary? Please let me know more details on word "having"
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: Demographers: SC

by jlucero Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

That's the standard definition of the word having, but I think it's easier to think about how you use the word in every day English:

The town is having a population boom.
The town council, having just finished its annual meeting, went out for drinks.
There are many people having trouble with their finances.

None of these express a permanent situation, they all indicate that this is a temporary thing. Since the question refers to a process used by demographers, we need to use a more permanent term.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
ShobhitK282
Students

by ShobhitK282 Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:06 am

Hi experts,

For the same problem, solution for choice C states-:

" Additionally, the relative pronoun each of which must be the subject of a verb; here, it is followed only by a modifier ("having..."), making this version a fragment."

a) I don't understand why each of which is a subject.

b) Is it different when just each is used to modify a noun? As we don't need an entire clause with each- For eg: X likes candy, each $2.

c) Does each always modify noun?

Any additional information that might help me strangthen the understanding of this will help.

Thanks!!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:27 am

ShobhitK282 Wrote:Hi experts,

For the same problem, solution for choice C states-:

" Additionally, the relative pronoun each of which must be the subject of a verb; here, it is followed only by a modifier ("having..."), making this version a fragment."

a) I don't understand why each of which is a subject.

b) Is it different when just each is used to modify a noun? As we don't need an entire clause with each- For eg: X likes candy, each $2.

c) Does each always modify noun?

Any additional information that might help me strangthen the understanding of this will help.

Thanks!!

Try composing your own sentences and see if you can understand this better:

"I have two cats, each of which has grey hair and a long tail."

"The test is composed of five sections, each of which is difficult."

"each of which" is used to further describe the noun immediately in front of the "each of which" phrase, but it starts a new clause. Thus, it is the subject of that clause.

Be careful not to confuse "each of which" and "each", as they have different usages in grammar.

I hope that this helps! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
ShubhamG503
Students

by ShubhamG503 Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:57 am

Hello Team

I have basic question for choice C. I am confused as to why each of which having is a fragment.
---------------------
Choice C - do not divide urban and suburban areas into individual cities and towns, separated according to political boundaries, but instead group them into "metropolitan statistical areas," each of which having multiple cities and towns with
----------------------
Is it because each of which is subject and hence needs a verb to finish the clause ? Are there any other examples you can quote where comma + ing can be fragment? Appreciate that.

Since the correct answer is

divide urban and suburban areas not into individual cities and towns, separated by political boundaries, but into "metropolitan statistical areas," each of which comprises multiple cities and towns with

Is this correct as well? (my intention is to understand use of +ing as a modifier and not be considered as fragment)

divide urban and suburban areas not into individual cities and towns, separated by political boundaries, but into "metropolitan statistical areas," comprising of multiple cities and towns with
Kovid
Course Students

by Kovid Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 am

In Answer choice D, is the construction of subgroup-modifier "each comprising multiple cities and towns that have" correct ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:52 am

Interesting question. I would say that the modifier is wrong in this context. The word 'each' doesn't clearly refer to 'metropolitan areas'. Here's an example of a similar modifier (correctly used):

Stacey and Rey gave one another gifts, each successfully anticipating what the other wanted.
DevikaC983
Students

by DevikaC983 Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:15 am

Hi I was stuck between Choice A and C here. Ultimately chose C. I am unable to eliminate choice C. As per the official solution, it is stated that "but instead group them" incorrectly refers to urban and suburban areas. I'm not sure how this usage alters the meaning? Additionally, not sure why "each of which" followed by "having" here is incorrect?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 am

As per the official solution, it is stated that "but instead group them" incorrectly refers to urban and suburban areas. I'm not sure how this usage alters the meaning?

To be clear, we're not concerned with altering the meaning, but with finding a logical meaning. Think about what the sentence is trying to say. What is it that demographers do? What don't they do? Really, think about that before reading on.

The illogical meaning of C comes from the idea that demographers group the 'cities and towns', not the 'urban and suburban areas'. Presumably an urban or suburban area is already grouped together, which is why the demographers might divide it. This introduces a pronoun problem. The parallel structure points at the pronoun 'them' referring to 'urban and suburban areas', but the logical antecedent is 'cities and towns'.

not sure why "each of which" followed by "having" here is incorrect?

When we introduce a 'which' modifier, we need to follow it with a verb. For example: 'My house, which is red, was built in 1950.' The word 'which' is followed by a clause 'is red'. It would be incorrect to write 'My house, which being red, was built in 1950.' That's the issue with the word 'having', which is not a verb unless preceded by a form of the verb to be, such as 'is', 'was', 'will be', etc.