The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
RamV648
Forum Guests

Cross-Pollination (Quant)

by RamV648 Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:01 am

Hi,
I had a quick question on the explanation given below!

Question:
A farmer has an apple orchard consisting of Fuji and Gala apple trees. Due to high winds this year 10% of his trees cross pollinated, creating trees that are part Fuji and part Gala. The number of his trees that are pure Fuji plus the number that are part Fuji and part Gala totals 187, while 3/4 of all his trees are pure Fuji. How many of his trees are pure Gala?

Solution:
This problem can be solved using a set of four equations with four unknowns. The fourth variable will represent the total number of apple trees. We'll add two equations together to solve for the number of Gala apples relatively simply:

Solution:

Let F = the number of Fuji trees
Let C = the number of cross pollinated trees
Let G = the number of Gala trees
Let T = the total number of trees

Equation (1): By definition, F + C + G = T

Equation (2): The pure Fuji trees plus the cross pollinated trees total 187, so F + C = 187

Equation (3): 75% of his trees are Fuji, so F = 0.75T
Equation (4): 10% of his trees cross pollinated, so C = 0.1T

My Query:

I wonder how Equation (4) is valid .Shouldn't it instead be C= 0.1 (F+G) ?
Please note 10% of Fuji and Gala trees pollinated to create the hybrid.

Thanks
Ram
astonh156
Forum Guests

Re: Cross-Pollination (Quant)

by astonh156 Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Geese are the birds that like to stay close to rivers and you may locate them close to the lakes too. They are called waterfowls. Some of them eat aquatic plant life whilst a few look for their meals on land. If you're searching out What Do Geese Eat? Then here is the detail for you. Geese are the ones that would eat a diffusion of meals like roots, stems, leaves, berries, and whatnot.If you need to examine greater about pets then visit our web page at petshoods.