If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
GraceR626
Course Students

Crazy boss- Recommendations Question

by GraceR626 Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi,
I have spent the past three years in a job at a media company. I run my (very small) department and have driven its success in measurable ways. My problem is that my direct supervisor is a largely absent CEO. He is charismatic and would be a great recommender if I could stand next to him, give him a list of accomplishments to highlight and force him to actually do the recommendations. However, because I now work remotely from several thousand miles away and he is nearly always traveling internationally, this is very unlikely. I am afraid if I ask him he will blow this off or do a very half-ass job on it. I have previous supervisors who would write very nice things but they are from 3+ years ago and in a very different industry. I had planned to ask one for a second recommendation but I worry that having both be from so long ago, even if I offer an explanation as to why (I also have a small but well-founded fear that my current boss might view my leaving, even if it's a year away, as a threat), will not put me in the best light in front of the admin committee. My only other options within the company are my predecessor (who I worked for for several weeks before she left and I was promoted, but who cannot comment on anything more recent and may not view the changes/progress I have made in the same way my CEO does) or peers who I do not feel confident would take this very seriously and do a really outstanding job. That's the biggest frustration- I 100% believe that if there was a way to force my CEO to take this seriously, the recommendations would be glowing, specific and outstanding. I just think there's a huge risk that he will not. What is the best path forward here?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Crazy boss- Recommendations Question

by mbaMissionKate Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi there,
That is a tough situation! I worry too that having two recommendations from 3+ years prior is not ideal but definitely fine to have one of them. It would be great to have someone represent your work over the past 3 years...it could be your CEO (more on that in a sec), a peer (this is fine as long as you explain why your CEO can't write one and that it's a small company), or perhaps someone outside the firm? I'm not sure what the nature of your work is but perhaps a key client, vendor, supplier, or outside adviser? Alternatively, if you have strong involvement in a volunteer / extracurricular activity, is it possible for someone who oversees that to write about your work? If none of these seem like great options, then I'd go with your 2 prior supervisors and write an optional essay explaining that you feel it will put your current position in jeopardy to tell anyone at your company. It's not the best situation but schools will understand and then you can make sure your resume highlights all the impact you have in your current job.

As far as your CEO...have you broached the subject about your career plans at all with him? If not, I'd give it a shot to see if you think he'll be supportive of your plans. And remember that if you do ask him, you can coach him a lot, give him bullet points to highlight, remind him, ask to see a draft, etc. to make sure it gets done at the quality you expect. You just can't write it or submit it for him. If you communicate how important it is to your success, he may take it seriously, but then again, you know him better.

If you end up not being able to ask him, then plan to write an Optional Essay explaining your choice. More on this on our blog here: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2016/03 ... ervisor-3/

Good luck!
Kate

GraceR626 Wrote:Hi,
I have spent the past three years in a job at a media company. I run my (very small) department and have driven its success in measurable ways. My problem is that my direct supervisor is a largely absent CEO. He is charismatic and would be a great recommender if I could stand next to him, give him a list of accomplishments to highlight and force him to actually do the recommendations. However, because I now work remotely from several thousand miles away and he is nearly always traveling internationally, this is very unlikely. I am afraid if I ask him he will blow this off or do a very half-ass job on it. I have previous supervisors who would write very nice things but they are from 3+ years ago and in a very different industry. I had planned to ask one for a second recommendation but I worry that having both be from so long ago, even if I offer an explanation as to why (I also have a small but well-founded fear that my current boss might view my leaving, even if it's a year away, as a threat), will not put me in the best light in front of the admin committee. My only other options within the company are my predecessor (who I worked for for several weeks before she left and I was promoted, but who cannot comment on anything more recent and may not view the changes/progress I have made in the same way my CEO does) or peers who I do not feel confident would take this very seriously and do a really outstanding job. That's the biggest frustration- I 100% believe that if there was a way to force my CEO to take this seriously, the recommendations would be glowing, specific and outstanding. I just think there's a huge risk that he will not. What is the best path forward here?
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php