Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
ranjeet1975
Forum Guests

CR Health Care

by ranjeet1975 Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:31 am

In the United States, about $5,200 per person per year is spent on health care, while in Britain the amount is about
half that. A recent study indicated that middle-aged white Americans have a significantly higher rate of diabetes
and heart disease than do middle-aged white Britons. Even after eliminating from the study the lifestyle differences
of diet, exercise, smoking, and drinking, the data showed that the Americans have poorer health than their British
counterparts.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following assertions?
- Health care spending in the United States should be reduced by 50%.
- More expensive health care causes a higher incidence of certain diseases.
- The money spent on health care in the United States is not being used effectively.
- The average health care spending for middle-aged white Americans is probably less than the average health care
spending for Americans in general.
- Something other than diet, exercise, smoking, and drinking must account for the difference in health for the two
groups in the study.
tim
Course Students

Re: CR Health Care

by tim Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:00 pm

nice copy and paste job. your next step is to tell us where the problem came from and what your specific question is..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
vishalsomani
Forum Guests

by vishalsomani Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:27 pm

The above problem is from Manhattan CAT only.

Although the CAT does provides an explanation for the correct option, I'd still like to ponder upon the possibility of the answer choice 'D'.
vishalsomani
Forum Guests

by vishalsomani Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Never mind. I got it.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 pm

That was quick. :) Glad to hear you figured it out!
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
vishalsomani
Forum Guests

by vishalsomani Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:56 am

Yeah. I've got the exam this week, so I'm running my engines to the fullest right now.
Thanks for the reply anyway.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am

you're welcome..
Tim Sanders

ajaym8
Students

by ajaym8 Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:47 am

vishalsomani Wrote:The above problem is from Manhattan CAT only.

Although the CAT does provides an explanation for the correct option, I'd still like to ponder upon the possibility of the answer choice 'D'.

Ok, I guess I also figured it out. But would like to share my thinking for 2 reasons. One, so that the instructors can point out flaws in my thought process, if any, for this question, and two,if correct, it may help someone reading this thread.

Inference question. So no outside information allowed and pre-thinking may not help. Also, conclusion might not be there. Alright here we go.

The given statements do not have any conclusion. It's a fact set.
Amount X is spent per person annually in US, (X/2) in UK. Middle aged(MA) Americans have higher disease rates compared to MA Britons. Eliminating lifestyle differences, data showed that general Americans have poorer health compared to general Britons. ("compared to" is now acceptable on GMAT ; earlier "compared with" was a better phrase. Hope I am right here).

A> Well, why "should" healthcare spending be reduced by 50% for Americans? To make it equal to that of Britons ? Why ? Nothing given in data to support such decision.
B> This option looks like it has flawed reasoning. For ex. Price of candy is 10$ in city A and 20$ in city B, and children in city B have more tooth cavities than children in city A, then high price is the reason for the higher number of tooth cavities in children.
C> Effective use of money, well, is not featured anywhere. It "may be" but not "must be". Not convincing enough.
D> Average healthcare spending for MA Americans is probably less than Americans in general. Ok, How? It can be more also, no ? No such data given.
E> This is possible. If , after eliminating all other differences, the Americans still have poorer health than the British, then there is something hidden. Something else unaccounted for. Looks ok.

I'll go with E.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:39 am

if this is an MPrep problem, please post it in the appropriate folder. thanks.