If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
DivyaC315
Students

Counting on my atypical background - profile evaluation pls

by DivyaC315 Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

I am a 28 yr old Indian female living in the US.
I have a bachelor's in Industrial Biotechnology from a top 5 university in India. My performance was not stellar. i struggled the first year and then caught up securing 7.5 (out of 10) GPA in the end. I immediately came to the US for a master's in Microbiology in a top 30 university and graduated with a GPA of 3.85. I then worked for about two years for a couple of biotech big names . I worked as an intern and in manufacturing. I had to dabble in IT for a few months, went home got married, came back on a dependent visa.Due to visa restrictions, I haven't been working for about 2 years now. I have been volunteering with an education based non profit for the last year.

The dream has always been to get to the business part of the biotech industry, hence this MBA journey. After studying for 5 months, including a veritas prep course, I scored an abyssmal 580. (Q41 V 30). i was hoping for a 650 plus score. I am retaking in October. Hoping to make it to 680. I want to get in to a full time MBA program with an immersion in healthcare/biotech focus. Any suggestions? Will my current unemployment and my disconnect from the conventional bschool types stand in my way?

Thank u in advance
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Counting on my atypical background - profile evaluation pls

by mbamissionjenK Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of the GMAT disappointment; I do recommend preparation programs such as Manhattan GMAT-- they truly do make a difference! Schools will take the highest score, fyi.

I do think your not having worked for 2 years will likely be a drawback.... it's one thing if you were able to start working now and have some more recent experience in the workplace before you apply/matriculate... the volunteering is better than nothing but I worry schools might be wary of your having less recent experience to contribute, and less recent recommendations etc. Just keeping it honest!! You would certainly want to look outside the higher-ranked programs.

Good luck on your decisions!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php