Discuss the pros and cons of individual programs, and their admissions criteria, with your peers here.
shondawilliams23
Course Students

Cornell-Queens EMBA vs SMU JD MBA

by shondawilliams23 Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 pm

I am currently unemployed and cannot decide between an EMBA from Cornell-Queens University and a JD MBA from SMU. The EMBA program is 16 months long with a nationally recognized university, while the JD MBA program is 4 years and is well known regionally. Secondly from a career prospective the MBA has quickly become a requirement for positions at my level. Lastly, I do want to obtain my MBA and JD however I am not sure whether I should combine them or obtain each degree separately which would only add an additional 6 month to the overall length of my education but would allow me to be more competitive in a shorter length of time. How would you advise me to carry forward based on this information and any additional insight that you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
rkkarthik
Course Students

Re: Cornell-Queens EMBA vs SMU JD MBA

by rkkarthik Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 pm

If I were you I'd pick the JD + MBA option, because you still want to get to it someday, why not now?

Considering you are not currently employed, an EMBA would not be a huge pay-off as potential employers will be interested as to why you picked an EMBA.

End of the day personal factors play a huge role and it is a decision you have to take, but the farther you are away from a school the more difficult it is to get back into a class. If JD is a personal goal, you should just get it done with.

Good luck
Karthik