Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
uae918
Students

compound subject

by uae918 Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi Manhattan expert,

I have a question regarding the usage of compound subject + adj modifier. In sentences below, can you please let me know if the that clause adj modifier and the verb-ing adj modifier can modify only the second noun or do they have to modify both noun 1 and noun 2? From the meaning, the adj modifier obviously modifies only noun 2, but I wonder if this usage is correct grammatically since this is a compound subject. Thank you

1. A and B + that adj modifier: This tree has a buttressed trunk and a crown that spreads over shorter trees
2. A and B + verb-ing adj modifier: This tree has a buttressed trunk and a crown spreading over shorter trees
3. what if we use "both noun 1 and noun 2" structure for sentences above, would that change anything?

What about this sentence below:

4. Scientist A stands on the stage, with the famous Scientist B and with Scientist C who recently was nominated as Nobel Prize winner.
(Would the "with" in front of "scientist C" suffice to separate this compound subject structure and therefore we can use the "who adj modifier" modify only scientist C?)

Thank you very much!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: compound subject

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Those are interesting issues, and are the kind of thing us instructors think about when we write the Manhattan Prep guides. However, as you may have noticed, it gets complicated pretty quickly! I would caution you again looking for those "rules" because I think it depends on context. In some situations the modifier would modify both nouns, and in some just the second. Take a look at these examples, which I consider correct by GMAT standards:

1. I met Jim and his wife Alexis, who's the boss of the company.
2. I have two pet cats, Bubbles and Fluffy, that often play together.
3. In the park I saw a dead fox and a bird singing.
4. In the park I saw a child and his father playing together.

You might have noticed that the ultimate test is the meaning: all these sentences have clear (or clear enough) meaning. In terms of efficient study, I'd also caution you not to spend too much time making up your own examples, as the official GMAT problems provide the best clues to the kind of things you're going to see.