Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
TemprisB363
Course Students

Comparisons - CH6 Problem Set #4&6

by TemprisB363 Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi,

Question on the problem set answers for # 4 & # 6

The task is to fix the sentence's ccomparisons.

#4 The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England in the eighteenth century.
The answer was "The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like that of England in the eighteenth century.
But why isn't "The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England's in the eighteenth century" also correct?

#6 A leopard cannot run as fast as a cheetch
This orginal sentence was correct with "A leopard cannot run as fast as a cheetah can" also being correct. Is "A leopard cannot run as fast as a cheetah does" correct as well?

When do I use can vs does?

Thanks in advance.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Comparisons - CH6 Problem Set #4&6

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:27 am

#4 The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England in the eighteenth century.
The answer was "The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like that of England in the eighteenth century.
But why isn't "The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England's in the eighteenth century" also correct?

Although it's a good exercise to think up solutions to incorrect SC sentences, please be aware that there is often more than one possible solution. We generally show the solution that you're most likely to see in GMAT problems. I think your solution is just about okay, however 'the rapid development of India' is not the same kind of phrase as 'England's [development]'. Be ready to see the phrase 'that of' / 'those of' in comparison constructions.

#6 A leopard cannot run as fast as a cheetah
This original sentence was correct with "A leopard cannot run as fast as a cheetah can" also being correct. Is "A leopard cannot run as fast as a cheetah does" correct as well? When do I use can vs does?

Tough question. Here, it's better to make 'a cheetah can [run]' parallel with 'a leopard cannot run' - both have the same kind of word (can) and the same meaning (possibility). So I would say that your solution is not okay. However, this is a borderline issue, as there are some occasions in which 'can' and 'does' may be parallel. Take a look here, although don't spend too long on this, as it's on the edge of what you need to know to get good at SC:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... on#p131094
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... on#p131714