Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
jen.robertson
Course Students

Comparison to vs Comparison with

by jen.robertson Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi, on the MGMAT CAT #3, I encountered the following problem (posted below) and I have a question regarding the answer. The answer was A, I chose D, and the explanation said that 'comparison to' was not the proper idiomatic way to use comparison, and instead for this you need to use 'comparison with." When I checked the Idioms section on Sentence correction it says the following (pag 148) "Note: The GMAT ignores the traditional distinction between compared to and Compared with." So, I'm not sure which one I should follow. Is this question (from the CAT) wrong? Thanks!!

In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have a less symmetric wind field.

with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have

with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically has

with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone located farther from the center of maximum winds, and typically have

to tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have

to tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically has
goelmohit2002
Students

Re: Comparison to vs Comparison with

by goelmohit2002 Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 am

I also have same doubt....same question I encountered...can someone please help ?
nehag84
Students

by nehag84 Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:14 am

It should be "compared with" as the sentence is highlighting the difference between the two.

Pls refer to the following post for more explanation:

when-to-use-compared-with-and-compared-to-t2071.html
goelmohit2002
Students

by goelmohit2002 Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:59 am

nehag84 Wrote:It should be "compared with" as the sentence is highlighting the difference between the two.

Pls refer to the following post for more explanation:

when-to-use-compared-with-and-compared-to-t2071.html

Hi Neha,

Please note that Manhattan SC guide specifically says that there is NO distinction between Compared to and Compared with...

I am not sure either I am misinterpreting either this forum or the SC guide....but it seems that both of them are talking orthogonal(just opposite) things....

Please tell what I am missing here ?
johnnypchen
Course Students

by johnnypchen Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:10 am

Iti's compared WITH.

Use WITH when you are comparing similar things, use TO when you are making an indirect association and trying to show resemblance.

In this case, subtropical and tropical cyone systems are both cyclone systems, so it is without a doubt WITH

This also is not a typical SC problem as this is a rather long sentence and the right choice comes down to A or D on one mistake; usually, GMAT will test more than one error in such a long sentence so don't get too stuck up on this. It is afterall a very unusual and infrequent test on idioms.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am

update: we are thinking about purging this distinction from the cat exams, as there may actually be no OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED reason to distinguish between "compare to" and "compare with". i.e., this distinction may well never have been made in an official problem.

we'll let you know.
goelmohit2002
Students

by goelmohit2002 Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:34 am

RonPurewal Wrote:update: we are thinking about purging this distinction from the cat exams, as there may actually be no OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED reason to distinguish between "compare to" and "compare with". i.e., this distinction may well never have been made in an official problem.

we'll let you know.

Thanks Ron !!!
anoo.anand
Students

by anoo.anand Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:03 pm

compare with --- is used when the comparison is on similar things... age to age ...color to color etc...

compare to --- is used when different things are compared...he compared her to a buffalo... ;)
goelmohit2002
Students

by goelmohit2002 Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:39 pm

anoo.anand Wrote:compare with --- is used when the comparison is on similar things... age to age ...color to color etc...

compare to --- is used when different things are compared...he compared her to a buffalo... ;)

no this is not correct....as per above discussion...this distinction is not correct in GMAT.
gorav.s
Course Students

by gorav.s Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:10 am

Ron, One question I would like to ask -

Then as you said if there is no distinction between two - shall we always use "compared with" in future . I mean preposition "with" after "compare" - whether is is a similar or dissimilar comparison.

I am asking this as a sentence might ask the use of preposition after "compare " word

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:18 am

gorav.s Wrote:Ron, One question I would like to ask -

Then as you said if there is no distinction between two - shall we always use "compared with" in future . I mean preposition "with" after "compare" - whether is is a similar or dissimilar comparison.

you can use either one - to or with - with either type of comparison. basically, the best advice regarding this issue is "just don't worry about it".

--

(notice the irony of your question: if you decide that you're always going to use "compare with", then that means you think they ARE different! otherwise, there is no reason to prefer one to the other.)