If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MichelleP344
Forum Guests

Combining GMAT Scores?

by MichelleP344 Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 am

Hello
I am a relatively unique applicant applying only to top ten programs (liberal arts college degree and major, Hispanic dual citizen and trilingual, fashion tech job.)

Last November I received a GMAT score of 680 (42 Quant/41 Verbal). I recognized that improving my demonstrated quant capabilities--the weakest part of my application--would be to my greatest advantage.

Last month I took the GMAT again and focused intensively on quant and received my target Quant score of 47---at the grave expense of my Verbal score. Final score: 660 (47 Quant/34 Verbal).

While I saw each separate high section score as an indicator that I could hit a 720, my third attempt at the GMAT today resulted in reverse scores again!! 640 (38 Quant/40 Verbal).

I no longer have the time (or energy) for a retake and fear that a high performance on one section will continue to cannibalize the other.

My question is--is it enough to submit the 680 on applications for this season and subtly point out in the optional essays my higher separate 47 Quant score to allay any of the schools' potential doubts about my ability to handle their academic rigor? Also note I got an 8 on IR for the test I'm reporting--not sure if that helps

Thanks so much in advance for your reply!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Combining GMAT Scores?

by mbamissionjenK Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:24 am

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of the frustrations of the process, but schools do take the highest score and highest overall is what you want... so yes I agree with your suggested approach of reporting the highest, and adding a line in the app about your higher quant score and any other evidence of quant ability, to demonstrate that you know you can handle the program. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
MichelleP344
Forum Guests

by MichelleP344 Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 am

Hi Jennifer - Noted, I appreciate the quick reply!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:09 pm

No prob, good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php