Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
aflaamM589
Students

Re: Classical guitar was neither prestigious nor

by aflaamM589 Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:10 am

Hello experts,
Sorry to dig this old post

Can you tell why D is wrong?
I think nor is used here correctly
as per my understanding,
-->nor when used alone essentially connects two negative sentences--> condition satisfied in SC under discussion
-->Nor when used alone should follow inverted subject format i.e nor + helping verb+ subject --> this condition is also satisfied

What am i missing ?
thanks
cgentry
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by cgentry Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:33 am

aflaamM589 Wrote:Hello experts,

as per my understanding,
-->nor when used alone essentially connects two negative sentences--> condition satisfied in SC under discussion
-->Nor when used alone should follow inverted subject format i.e nor + helping verb+ subject --> this condition is also satisfied

What am i missing ?
thanks

No problems reviving an old thread if you still have questions!

The parallel construction in this choice revolves around the "not ______ nor _______" construction. Try examining the parallel elements individually:

"Classical guitar did not have prestige". That's the first element. Now, creating the second element in isolation requires that we use a "not" to preserve the meaning, so there will be a small change, but here's the second element, as best I can recreate it:

"Classical guitar was not it performed in concert halls."

This is why the verbs need to be in the same voice in this example. You have an active voice subject "classical guitar" matched to a passive voice verb "was it performed".
AngelinaL535
Students

by AngelinaL535 Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:47 pm

cgentry Wrote:
aflaamM589 Wrote:Hello experts,

as per my understanding,

What am i missing ?
thanks

No problems reviving an old thread if you still have questions!

The parallel construction in this choice revolves around the "not ______ nor _______" construction. Try examining the parallel elements individually:

"Classical guitar did not have prestige". That's the first element. Now, creating the second element in isolation requires that we use a "not" to preserve the meaning, so there will be a small change, but here's the second element, as best I can recreate it:

"Classical guitar was not it performed in concert halls."

This is why the verbs need to be in the same voice in this example. You have an active voice subject "classical guitar" matched to a passive voice verb "was it performed".

sorry to revive this old thread, but I still can't understand.

here's an example:
One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have[/u], enough computers to use them effectively.
A or
B nor
C or are
D nor are they
E nor are not
OA is d, One report concludes that many schools do not have, nor are they likely to have<---we repeat "they", and we can't omit "they".
why for this sentence, we need to omit "it"?

thank you so much for your answer.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:17 am

One report concludes that many schools do not have, nor are they likely to have<---we repeat "they", and we can't omit "they".
why for this sentence, we need to omit "it"?

Repeating pronouns in parallel structures is often an error in SC problems. For example, the sentence "Miho plays football and she goes skiing." would be incorrect as we don't need the pronoun "she". Better to write "Miho plays football and goes skiing."

However, in more complicated sentences, we might need to adjust this rule. If I wanted to say something with a negative, such as "On Saturdays my friends don't play football and go skiing." I might get mixed up: do I mean that they go skiing or not? I would encourage you to think of the construction 'nor do they...' as a solution to this. If I write "On Saturdays my friends don't play football, nor do they go skiing." then it's clear that they don't do either. If I write "On Saturdays my friends don't play football, but they go skiing." then it's clear that the 'don't' only applies to 'football' and that my friends do, indeed, go skiing.

Note that in the example that you cited there's no option that omits the 'they'. It looks like GMAT considers the issue of leaving out the 'they' to be too subjective to be worth testing in this case.

As for the classical guitar example, I don't think that the potential inclusion of 'it' is a pressing issue. The two problems that I'd encourage you to pay attention to are: combining passive and active in a parallel construction (incorrect) and the use of the verb 'perform' (the sentence states that classical guitar was performed; musical instruments can be played, not performed).