Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
PrashantS209
Course Students

Choosing among RC, CR, and SC questions to bail out

by PrashantS209 Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:19 pm

I know empirically that I make way more mistakes in SC than in RC or CR. Therefore, when deciding to bail out verbal questions when I am running out of time, should I choose to bail out SCs because the probability of me getting those correct is low anyway? Or is there something that is known about the GMAT algorithm that penalizes too many errors in one single section, so that I should not bail out SC questions to not make my error rate further higher on SC?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Choosing among RC, CR, and SC questions to bail out

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:21 am

As far as we can infer, there's no distinction between the types of problem on GMAT. If you make an error on a verbal problem then the algorithm doesn't count whether it's on SC, RC, or CR. Consequently, knowing your strengths and weaknesses on different problem types (and different kinds of problems within those types) can help you make smarter decisions about the kind of questions you should guess on. It may be a good move to guess on some SC problems.

However, I encourage you to persevere with SC. For most students, so quick gains are possible here if you learn some rules and combine that with your logic and common-sense understanding of English.
PrashantS209
Course Students

by PrashantS209 Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:02 am

Ok. Thank you Sage. :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:47 am

You're welcome.