If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!

Chances at TUCK

by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi,

Would you please be able to provide some insight on my admissions chances?

I had a 2.8 undergrad GPA in Computer Science from a State school, currently I am taking courses in Management/Finance from Harvard Extension School with a current GPA of 3.6 to build an alternate Transcript.

I have been consistently scoring between 715- 750 on GMAT practice exams

I have 3 years of relative work experience as an Business consultant in a Fortune 500 Company, and presently I lead a team of 6 Business Analysts.

I've been part of a few volunteer groups focusing on India, I lead a community Program where we teach kids and help them Succede academically and socially in my community.

I also involved in with a start up for the ;ast 2 years and manage an Investment Club where I run a model portfolio to teach young kids the importance of managing money and at the same time we use some of the strategies from this portfolio to manage our funds as well.

Will have great recommendations.

I plan to apply next year for Fall 2009, Since I already have consulting experience, after my MBA I plan to take the next step and join as an Associate in a top Management and Strategy Consulting Firm or join Investment banks as an Associate.

Although I am of Indian Origin and hold a CS degree all my Work Experience is in Business Development area.

What are my ballpark chances at schools such as Chicago GSB / TUCK/ MIT SLOAN / YALE and would you recommend any other schools.

TUCK being my first choice.

Thanks,
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:53 pm

It's really hard to say. Folks like you get in, but folks like you get dinged as well.

On the surface, your profile is in range for all the schools you mentioned. It really comes down to how well you execute your application.

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com

Chances at TUCK

by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks Alex,

Do you think using the services of an MBA Consultant would be of any benefit, keeping in mind that I have more than a Year to apply for 2009.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:09 am

The value of an admissions consultant on the applications process parallels the value of a test prep service to the GMAT. Working with test prep companies like Manhattan GMAT won't guarantee a certain GMAT score, but the knowledge and expertise they provide can certainly help you get *your* best possible score by teaching you how to take the test more effectively and efficiently. Likewise, admissions consultants can't guarantee admission, but with our expertise and knowledge of the admissions process, we can certainly help make sure that you're putting together your strongest possible application.

Having said that, in my opinion, there's no need for one until you are ready to actually work on the application. Some consultants are willing to take clients well in advance (1 - 2 years in advance), but in my view it's unnecessary (i.e. you can't pay me enough money to babysit you - my job is to help you on applications, not to help you with *life*). There is no "formula" for improving your candidacy - how you improve it ultimately comes down to your maturity, diligence, focus and talent. What an admissions consultant can do is help you communicate who it is you are, what it is you've done, and what it is you want in an application. In other words, we provide expertise on the admissions process, but you have to provide the talent, achievements and hard work.

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com

Chances at TUCK

by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply Alex