If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Minibuffet

Chance for admissions

by Minibuffet Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Hello,

What are my chances for admissions to one of the top 30 MBA programs (2nd choice Baruch College in NYC):

Sex: Female
Race: African-American
Undergraduate GPA: approx. 2.6 in Speech Language Pathology & Audiology
(worked full-time while attending night and weekend classes)
Graduate GPA: MS in Securities 3.6 (lower tiered school - Mercy College)
Experience: Finance field for 10 years, 4 years in hedge funds

Am at the point in my life where I need to make changes for the future. A MBA would solidify this, especially if I want to advance into upper management (currently AVP).

Currently studying for CFP (should I forgo that and study for the GMAT?). Basically, what would make me an attractive candidate for admissions into a good program? If I can not get into a good MBA program, then I would consider an option for a masters in finance, economics at a good school.

(Aiming for over 700 on the GMAT through classes, self study and private tutoring)

by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:24 pm

I believe you can be successful with a top 30 program. I am guessing your concern is your GPA and perhaps above average age. However, you have other things going for you, and these will balance out the lower GPA and possible age issue. I believe that you can be successful since you are willing to aply to a wide range of schools.

You definitely want to score well on the GMAT, so make studying for that a priority over the CFP. Do you have outside interests or activities? This can contribute to a well balanced story and provide opportunities to display your leadership abilities. Your undergraduate degree is unique, so you should think about how to tie that into your overall presentation, otherwise it can seem out of sync with your more recent activities.

I do not believe that you are striving for the impossible, but will need a very focused story, clear reasons for why you want the MBA at this point in your career, and well documented career progression.

Stacy Blackman
Stacy Blackman Consulting
www.stacyblackman.com