The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
tb5003
Forum Guests

cautionary tale

by tb5003 Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:56 pm

I've always been good at standardized tests, and so I didn't worry too much about the GMAT, which I took earlier today. The first time I did a practice test (one of the ones you download from the GMAT website) I got, I think, 48Q and 51V. I didn't bother taking the verbal again, but took the quantitative section several more times. I think I got 47 once, and 49 once, and then 50 a couple of times (of course that didn't really count, because some of the questions repeat and by then I knew the answers). These scores seemed fine; I wasn't worried about trying to improve.

Then, last night, the night before the exam, I made the mistake of drinking a lot of vodka, enough so that when I woke up I still felt quite drunk. I didn't have too bad a headache, but I couldn't really walk straight or think all that clearly. My wife said she could smell alcohol coming out of my pores. I pulled myself together as best I could, and went out to get some juice. When I went into the grocery store near my house, I thought at first that they had changed the store's layout, but then realized I had entered through the exit door. I had the juice and a cookie, tried again too pull myself together, and went to the testing center, where before doing my palm print I went to the bathroom and nearly vomited. I returned, drank some water, and began the test.

The writing sections went very smoothly, but toward the end I felt dehydrated, and during my break I had a cup of water (after a trip to the bathroom for diarrhea).

I must not have been as dehydrated as I thought, because about thirty minutes into the quantitative section I began to feel pressure in my bladder. This got worse and worse as the minutes passed. I found it very hard to focus on the questions, which seemed difficult (I took that as a good sign). I knew you could miss a lot of them and still get a nice score, and I felt that if I could just hold out I would be fine. I got to the last question with only forty seconds or so left, and couldn't make enough sense of it to eliminate even one choice.

I went to the bathroom again (more diarrhea). Then I started the verbal section. Reading the sentences and passages seemed like torture. The first, the only time, I had taken the verbal test, I finished with twenty minutes to spare. This time, I took nearly the whole session to finish. I didn't have a strong feeling I had missed any questions, but I did feel completely drained.

How did I do? Hmm... not as well as I hoped I would!
rkafc81
Course Students

Re: cautionary tale

by rkafc81 Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:59 am

not the best idea to get wasted the night before the exam...
traveria_turner
Course Students

by traveria_turner Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 am

OMG! Reading this post was hilarious! I'm sorry but I could not stop laughing! Sorry that you had such a bad experience, but I must say, this was very detailed and animated! Definitely no drinking the night before the GMAT!
acatlaw55
Course Students

by acatlaw55 Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 am

you are an idiot
greystealth
Course Students

by greystealth Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 pm

just cocky I think