Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
hckysgreat1
Course Students

CAT 4 "that" as a stand alone Pronoun

by hckysgreat1 Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Two questions from CAT 4 are confusing my knowledge of the word "that." My understanding is we should attack pronouns and "this", "that", "these", and "those" cannot stand alone as pronouns. I am only concerned with the word "that", not the other issues in the sentence.

Problem 1 makes sense to me but problem 2 is where I do not understand. I've bolded the areas I am most confused with in both statements but specifically, in question 2, why isn't a noun like "they" or "the judge" required after the word "that"? (again, disregarding the other issues)

1. Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that

B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that

C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that

D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

E. (Correct) man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

2. The lawyers for the patent holder pressed the federal judge to impose an injunction against the hardware manufacturer, arguing that they should take immediate action in order to prevent further economic damages against their client.

A. they should take immediate action in order to prevent further economic damages against their client
B. the judge act immediately in order to prevent the client from suffering further damages of an economic nature
C. they should act immediately to prevent further economic damages being suffered by the client
D. the judge act immediately in order to prevent them from suffering economic damages further
E. (Correct) immediate action should be taken to prevent their client from suffering further economic damages

Thank you!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: CAT 4 "that" as a stand alone Pronoun

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:42 pm

I think I can clear up some confusion by describing how the word 'that' has several different possible uses. Here are some:
1. as a modifier. In the Jean-Jacques Rousseau problem, 'that' introduces a noun modifier. Personally, I haven't seen an official GMAT problem that tests the difference between a 'NOUN, which' modifier and a 'NOUN that' modifier. The simple difference is that, in GMAT problems, the word 'which' is preceded by a comma, but the word 'that' isn't.
2. as a pronoun. The word 'that' can stand in for a noun. This is especially common in comparison constructions in GMAT. For example, 'My cat is more ferocious than that of Stacey.'
3. as a determiner. Placing 'that' before a noun can help us identify which copy of a noun we're talking about. This is more common in spoken English than GMAT English. For example: 'Please take this glass, not that glass.'
4. after some verbs to introduce a clause. We often drop the word 'that' in these constructions when speaking informally, but expect such sentences as 'Henry thinks that cricket is superior to baseball.' After verbs such as think, believe, argue, suggest, seem, discover, etc. you'll often find the word 'that'.

This final use applies to the patent holder problem. The idiom used here is argue + that + clause. The words 'immediate action should be taken...' is fine as a clause. Importantly for this problem, answers A, C, and D have no antecedent for the pronouns that they contain. In answer B, the phrase 'the client' is unclear.
hckysgreat1
Course Students

by hckysgreat1 Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Thank you very much, Sage!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am

You're welcome.