If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
clarksdv2

Brother at HBS MBA 2009

by clarksdv2 Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:23 pm

How should I leverage that my brother is at HBS? Is there anything he can do from his end, and should I shamelessly mention him in my essays? We have almost identical backgrounds, stats, I'm just older and with science background. THanks

Response...

by Guest Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:27 pm

They ask you in the app if you have relatives at HBS....I think they will take that into consideration once you indicate you do. Not sure how much (if any) difference it makes. I'm sure they'll make sure to read your application perhaps a bit more carefully to make sure they are confident in their decision. I would not "shamelessly" mention him in your essays unless there is a real reason to do so.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:22 pm

Other than disclosing it in the first page of the app (as the previous poster said, they ask whether you have had any relatives who graduated from HBS), there's nothing else you can or should do.

To be blunt, it can make a slight difference if you are truly a marginal candidate, but it's hardly a driving factor in your admissions decision - even if you are on the margins. Go in with the assumption that it makes no real difference.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com