Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Guest79

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory

by Guest79 Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:00 am

Bluegross musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) Same
(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from
(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparision to
(D) was influencial to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to
(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

Instructors - I see was/were, beyond that please help!!
givemeanid

by givemeanid Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:54 am

I go with B
SummerCourse

by SummerCourse Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Yep...I say B

by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:44 am

Can someone/Instructors explain?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:30 am

A:
- "Influential on" is bad idiomatic usage.
- "That included" can't follow a comma, and, even if you remove the comma, the meaning is absurd (the implication would be that Elvis and Jerry composed part of the anatomy of many different musicians).

C:
- "Was influential to" is at best awkward.
- See A for discussion of "that included."
- "Significantly" should come before "different."
- "In comparison to" is redundant because the sentence already says "different."

D:
- See above for "influential to."
- The wording of this choice implies that bluegrass artists aren't musicians (skeleton sentence: "BM, whose stuff influenced lots of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians.")
- "The music of whom" is wordy ("whose music" is better).
- "Differed when compared to" is redundant - and it's an incorrect interpretation (literally, it means that the music was only 'different' when someone was actively comparing it to some other music).

E:
- "That of his own" is redundant (and incorrect, because it literally means "Bill Monroe's music's music").

[edit: I had originally posted incorrect information about subject-verb agreement on choice E. The correct verb is 'was'.]
Last edited by RonPurewal on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest79

by Guest79 Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks for the great explanation. A quick question - you mentioned 'that included' cannot follow a comma. Is it grammatically incorrect?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 pm

Yep - you wouldn't use a comma before "that included" if you wanted to use it correctly.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:03 pm

First, the split between was and were. I voted for were.
There is no comma after vocal style, so the subject is not Bill M. and therefore is not singuar.

HELP! Let me know if I'm OK.

by Guest Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:13 pm

For choices C & D, we have the incorrect usage of "compared to". Compared to is only used to express similarity between
dis-similar things, something we are not doing here.

For (E), everything looks good except the "from that of his own" as mentioned by Ron. (The plural verb "were" is actually correct).

Instructors please re-assure me.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:39 pm

First guest:
There are two different verbs in the original sentence - one "were" and one "was." I'm not sure which one you're referring to when you say "was vs. were."
The first one, "were," ("vocal style were influential") has a compound subject: "repertory, views, and vocal style were influential"
The second one, "was," ("was also an inspiration to") has Bill Monroe as the subject - the clause "whose...artists" is not part of the core of the sentence, so the core becomes "Bill Monroe was..."

Second guest:
yes, in E, that opening "were" is correct. The abstract structure of the sentence is:
"Subject1, (whose subject2, subject3, and subject4 verb234 objectX), verb1 objectY..."

Subject1 and Verb1 go together. Subjects 2, 3, and 4 all go with verb234 (compound subject).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Anon

by Anon Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:26 pm

RPurewal Wrote:- "That included" can't follow a comma, and, even if you remove the comma, the meaning is absurd (the implication would be that Elvis and Jerry composed part of the anatomy of many different musicians).

Hi Ron,

I didn't get this part....
why cant that included modify "many musicians" ... musicians that included Elvis and Jerry....

please explain

Thanks..
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:18 pm

Anon Wrote:
RPurewal Wrote:- "That included" can't follow a comma, and, even if you remove the comma, the meaning is absurd (the implication would be that Elvis and Jerry composed part of the anatomy of many different musicians).

Hi Ron,

I didn't get this part....
why cant that included modify "many musicians" ... musicians that included Elvis and Jerry....

please explain

Thanks..

because then you'd have to mean, literally, that the musicians themselves, rather than the category of musicians (which is what you mean to say), included elvis and jerry.
either physically (in their anatomy), or 'included' them in some sort of social occasion or something.

if you mean to say that someone or something belongs to a category that you've laid out, you should use 'including' rather than 'that include(s)' in this sort of context.
Anon

by Anon Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 am

Confusion nut no connection.... :(..

Hi Ron... i really got confused with the last part..

we want to say their music differed from Bills' music...

whose music differed from his
whose music differed from Bill's ...

both of these are correct ... ???

but shouldn't we specify what exactly is different ???
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:36 am

Anon Wrote:Confusion nut no connection.... :(..

Hi Ron... i really got confused with the last part..

we want to say their music differed from Bills' music...

whose music differed from his
whose music differed from Bill's ...

both of these are correct ... ???

but shouldn't we specify what exactly is different ???

well, first of all, the word "his" isn't underlined, so you probably shouldn't worry about it too much.

grammatically, both of those options would be fine, although there's no need to use "bill's" (there are no other possible referents for "his", because the other two male names in the sentence are stuck together by "and" - you can't use he/she/it to refer to half of a compound noun)

i don't understand what you're asking in the last question ("shouldn't we specify exactly what is different?").
are you asking about whether we should actually talk about what made those other guys' music different from bill monroe's music? if so, don't forget that this is just a sentence correction problem - you shouldn't really concern yourself with its content, except inasmuch as it lets you make sure that the meaning is faithful to the original.
hayley.lihan.chan
Course Students

Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory

by hayley.lihan.chan Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:30 am

It seems that if the unnecessary modifiers are removed from the correct sentence (as completed by choice B), I'm left with "Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe." What is the main verb for this sentence?

Thanks!