Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
GK

Being

by GK Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 am

Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

a)
b) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
c) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
d) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
e) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will become

Can you please explain why B is incorrect and why D is correct?

Is B wrong because 'it' precedes 'plant'? If so, is such a construction, where the noun comes after the pronoun, always incorrect?

I avoided D because it uses 'being' which it usually incorrect on the GMAT. In fact, I thought it was always wrong on the GMAT. Kindly explain. Thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:27 pm

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sim ... -t641.html

Check out this thread and let me know if you still have a question. Generally, you should be skeptical about "being" but don't automatically eliminate. It is rarely right on the GMAT, but it can be used correctly in the English language (and even, occasionally, on the GMAT!).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
GK

by GK Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:26 am

skoprince Wrote:http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/simply-because-they-are-genetically-engineered-does-not-make-t641.html

Check out this thread and let me know if you still have a question. Generally, you should be skeptical about "being" but don't automatically eliminate. It is rarely right on the GMAT, but it can be used correctly in the English language (and even, occasionally, on the GMAT!).

Very nice explanation. Thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:09 pm

You're welcome!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep