Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

Re: Comparisons

by rustom.hakimiyan Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 pm

jlucero Wrote:
rustom.hakimiyan Wrote:When you say "comparison" - would it still work if I said "I have greater responsibility since my cat died.

These two events could be completely independent, but does the since imply a comparison?

Correct. You are comparing your responsibility before and since an event.

As a side note, if you wanted to count the number of responibilities, you would use more. I have more responsibilities (now I have 10) since my cat died (I used to have 8). The key thing is that more is used when comparing countable things (responsibilities) and greater is used when comparing non-countable things (responsibility). Emily gives a generalization that usually holds up often times when students are confused between the two.

Thanks, Joe.

P.S: Who is Emily? Where can I find the generalization that you're speaking of?
sw001
Students

Re: Because of less availability and greater demand for

by sw001 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:28 am

After attempting the question and going through the discussion -

I would like to know - "if we see a Comparative form of an adjective", e.g. greater, larger. Does it always calls for a comparison. So if we see Comparative form, then we should always look for 1. comparison indicator 2. what we are comparing it with.

Is this correct? Is there any instance where we would use comparative form of adjective but no comparison?

thank you!!
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:47 am

Is consistently in AB also redundant?
remains expensive
vs
remains consistently expensive
Thanks in advance.
ajaym8
Students

by ajaym8 Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:29 am

aflaamM589 Wrote:Is consistently in AB also redundant?
remains expensive
vs
remains consistently expensive
Thanks in advance.

Yes I think it's redundant. In option A, ".... ,platinum remains consistently expensive,like gold." The phrase "remains expensive" itself shows consistence in price. In B however, "like that" spoils the fun, in addition to the use of "consistently". That should have a noun to refer to.
Also, the correct answer does not contain "consistently".

Dear instructors, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, Ajay
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 am

yes, that's accurate.
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm

jlucero Wrote:
rustom.hakimiyan Wrote:When you say "comparison" - would it still work if I said "I have greater responsibility since my cat died.

These two events could be completely independent, but does the since imply a comparison?

Correct. You are comparing your responsibility before and since an event.

As a side note, if you wanted to count the number of responibilities, you would use more. I have more responsibilities (now I have 10) since my cat died (I used to have 8). The key thing is that more is used when comparing countable things (responsibilities) and greater is used when comparing non-countable things (responsibility). Emily gives a generalization that usually holds up often times when students are confused between the two.

Hi Sage/ Manhattan expert,

I am confused about above highlighted portion.
Can't we use 'more" with uncountable nouns. eg: More patience , More gallons of gasoline etc.

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 am

Absolutely we can use 'more' with both countable and uncountable nouns. I think that Joe's post above is both confusing and a little inaccurate.

For me, the simplest way is to remember that 'more' or 'less' are for comparisons. We need to know 'more than what?'. For example, it doesn't make sense simply to say 'My salary is more.' We'd need to know a context: '...than I had last week.' or '...than Samir has.' etc. However, it would be okay to say, on its own, 'My salary increased.'
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Thanks sage for prompt reply.

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 pm

You're welcome.