Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
PrashantS209
Course Students

Bailing out on RC questions

by PrashantS209 Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:30 am

Hi,

I took my CAT2 and I thought of bailing out all three questions in a Reading Comprehension passage so that I did not even have to read the passage. I got all those three questions wrong. I have been reading in online forums that getting three questions in a row wrong is terrible for the final score. Could someone please demystify strategies around skipping RC questions?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Bailing out on RC questions

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:08 am

You're right that skipping on 3 problems in a row is a risky strategy, however, it may be the best solution in certain situations. First of all, it depends on the score that you're aiming for. You'll have trouble getting a really good verbal score (above 40) if you skip a whole passage. However, it depends what you're going to use the time that you save. I've had students who find that an extra 20-30 seconds on CR problems makes a lot of difference, so that the 6 minutes they save by skipping a RC passage can be profitably invested in other problems. Ultimately, it's really not worth rushing through a whole bunch of verbal problems and making a load of mistakes; it's generally better to commit to the problems that you do take on, especially for RC. Also, if you "skip" 3 RC problems, then you have approximately a 50% chance of getting at least one of them correct, so it might not be so bad.

In conclusion, I don't think that this is a bad strategy, although I suggest that you handle with care. If you know the kind of passage that you get confused with, then it might be a good decision. I've seen this strategy boost scores with students who either have a slow reading speed, or a smaller vocabulary in English.