Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

asteroid

by thanghnvn Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm

from gmatprep

I am totally lost on this one. pls, help .

Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.
A. and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but
B. and, if it would strike Earth, part of the planet could experience a tremendous amount of damage but it would
C. and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would
D. and that, if Earth is struck by it, can do part of the planet tremendous damage, but it would
E. and that, if it strikes Earth, it could experience a tremendous amount of damage but
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re: asteroid

by thanghnvn Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:48 pm

sory for post second time

I find nothing wrong with

the scientists discovered the star and it can damage the earth

but the above sentence is not intended meaning of the problem and

A is wrong

Am I correct?

if the above sentence stand alone, it is right. But it stands by C, it is wrong.

In many SC problem, I see gmat think this way.

for example the question: "industry output in US...." in OG10

Am I correct

Ron, members, pls, help
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:38 pm

when you look at these sentences with "and", you need to figure out what should be grouped -- in other words, which ideas are meant to be expressed in parallel structure.

in this sentence, those two ideas are the two facts about the asteroid:
* the asteroid is about 1/2 mile wide.
* if the asteroid strikes earth, blah blah blah xxxxx will happen.

look at how (a) is written:
(Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide) and, (if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.)
this grouping doesn't make sense.

look at how (c) is written:
Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, (that is about half a mile wide) and (that, if it were to strike Earth, could do xxxx)
this is the correct grouping.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:18 am

on gmat, we have 3 if-then patterns

if do, then will do /can do
if did, then would do/could do
if had done, then would have done/could have done

is that thing right?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:18 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:on gmat, we have 3 if-then patterns

if do, then will do /can do
if did, then would do/could do
if had done, then would have done/could have done

is that thing right?

these three patterns are valid, provided that they make sense in context. remember that verb tenses can NEVER be memorized -- they are always a function of the timeframe and intention of the sentence.

these are certainly not the only possible uses of "if... then", but they are valid. (in general, a complete list is not something that we are going to be able to give you, for reasons that i wrote about here:
post60919.html#p60919)
ishamehta2401
Students

by ishamehta2401 Sun May 27, 2012 3:43 pm

I was stuck between a and c, eventually i went with 'a' option.
I was not sure about 'c' as I thought usage of would with probably is redundant.

and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would

Any body from the staff please clear my doubt.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 pm

ishamehta2401 Wrote:I was stuck between a and c, eventually i went with 'a' option.
I was not sure about 'c' as I thought usage of would with probably is redundant.

and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would

Any body from the staff please clear my doubt.

"would" and "probably" are different parts of speech and have different meanings, so they are not redundant.
--"probably" is an adverb that means "very likely"
--"would" is a verb that is the past tense version of "will", among other uses
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 am

I understand C is correct but I don't understand why 'that' is omitted after 'but' and before 'would'..

I believe 'that' was needed to maintain parallelism.
Kindly help. .
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:35 am

could do damage but would not cause

that is perfectly parallel. what makes you think "could" and "would" are not parallel?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
supratim7
Forum Guests

by supratim7 Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 am

thanghnvn Wrote:Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.

C. and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would
D. and that, if Earth is struck by it, can do part of the planet tremendous damage, but it would

Got it correct but couldn't eliminate (D) decisively

I can spot one issue between (C) & (D)
"do X to Y" vs "do Y X"

(1) Is the issue mentioned above a major one, good enough to dump (D)?
(2) Are there any bigger issues with (D)?

Thank you
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:38 pm

supratim7 Wrote:
thanghnvn Wrote:Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.

Got it correct but couldn't eliminate (D) decisively

I can spot one issue between (C) & (D)
"do X to Y" vs "do Y X"

(1) Is the issue mentioned above a major one, good enough to dump (D)?
(2) Are there any bigger issues with (D)?

Thank you

I agree with the preference of "do X to Y", but I wouldn't say it's a definitive issue.
I'd say one major split in C/D is the difference between could/can:

C) If it were to strike Earth, the asteroid could do tremendous damage.
D) If Earth is struck by it, the asteroid can do part of the planet tremendous damage.

Generally when you use "if" you should use the conditional "could" rather than "can".

Finally, there's a slightly ambiguous "it" in D that I don't like because asteroid is so far away and planet is much closer. This would be the least important issue in my mind, but one big issue and two minor issues is a good reason to eliminate D.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
supratim7
Forum Guests

by supratim7 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:09 am

jlucero Wrote:I'd say one major split in C/D is the difference between could/can:

C) If it were to strike Earth, the asteroid could do tremendous damage.
D) If Earth is struck by it, the asteroid can do part of the planet tremendous damage.

Generally when you use "if" you should use the conditional "could" rather than "can".

Yes, that's a big one.
Thank you Joe :)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 am

supratim7 Wrote:(2) Are there any bigger issues with (D)?

Thank you

Yeah, there's a huge issue.

They've identified an asteroid that is about 1/2 miles wide and that can cause xxx damage, but it would probably not xxxxx.

Not parallel.
gourav.arya
Students

by gourav.arya Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 am

Dear Ron,

I think, as far as parallelism is concerned, both "that" should have the same function in the sentence. But here, first "that" is a demonstrative pronoun referring to the asteroid and the second "that" is a relative pronoun that starts a clause.

had the second part of the sentence been "..and if that were to strike Earth.." wouldn't it have made more sense as far as parallelism is concerned.

Im not questioning the official answer, just wanted to clarify my doubt regarding the parallelism aspect of the sentence.

Seek your advise please.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:09 am

gourav.arya Wrote:Dear Ron,

I think, as far as parallelism is concerned, both "that" should have the same function in the sentence. But here, first "that" is a demonstrative pronoun referring to the asteroid and the second "that" is a relative pronoun that starts a clause.

I don't know any of these terms, so I can't speak to whether you are correct about the terms.

Both instances of "that" do, however, have the same function.

If you take out the extra modifier with commas ("if it were to strike earth"), you get...
... that is about 1/2 mile wide
... that could do tremendous damage to xxxx

These two instances of "that" are exactly the same.
Here is an asteroid that is about 1/2 mile wide.
Here is an asteroid that could do tremendous damage to xxxx.

Because their function is exactly the same, I'd imagine that they are not properly labeled by two different terms. Much more importantly, though -- even if they are two different terms, that distinction can't help you. It will hurt you.
Do not concentrate on naming grammar things. If you name everything, you won't be able to notice similarities between things with different names.