The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
mist4u
Students

Around 700 in practice exams. 610 in the real GMAT!!

by mist4u Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Hello Instructors,

To introduce:
I am an Indian IT Male with 4+ years of experience. I took a 2months break from work to prepare from my GMAT. I referred MGMAT for SC and LSAT CR Bible, apart from OG12 and OG Verbal Review. I had initially referred Kaplan Premier. (After having spend a month, realized it to be useless.) During the last 2 weeks I referred to the other MGMAT strategy guides and realized my mistake of not having taken them up earlier during my preparation. Most of the improvements you see in the Month 2 of my preparation, I own it to these 8 strategy guides and OG Archer. I must mention how beneficial the OG Archer had been to help me pin point my weaknesses and strengths.

Mock Test Scores:
My test score have been as follows:
Month 1:
Kaplan 1 540 (Diagnostic)
Kaplan 2 670 (q45, v39)
MGMAT 1 640 (q42, v35)
Kaplan 3 720 (q55, v34)
Kaplan 4 620 (q40, v33) [Unplanned interruptions occurred]
Kaplan 5 650 (q45, v31)
Month 2:
MGMAT 2 680 (q48, v34)
MGMAT 3 690 (q48, v35)
MGMAT 4 700 (q51, v35)
MGMAT 5 700 (q50, v35)
GMATPrep1 710 (q50, v36)
GMATPrep2 710 (q49, v38)
Reset GMATPrep1 750 (q50, v40)

Real GMAT: 610 (q48, v27)
Month 2 tests were under complete test conditions.

Test Day:
I was pretty relaxed a day before and during the exam. So, I can safely say that stress factor was not a part of my debacle. Reached the test center an hour before the scheduled time. AWA section was pretty smooth.

I pretty much tried to follow the MGMAT timing strategy but the last 30-15 minutes is were I loose a lot of time because the questions get tougher. Quant section started of easy but started to become very difficult by the mid 20s. Out of the first 25 question, I had spend considerable time (about 5mins) for 3 questions, which I think could have been experimental. I had encountered 1 really touch Geometry question out of the approximately 5 geo questions in all. I probability question. And a lot of number theory and word translation questions. And 5-6 algebra questions with power of 3, 4 or 5!! I noticed that I had only 1:15 for each of the last 10 questions. Therefore, improved my speed. Among these last 10 questions, I took a random guess for the last 2 questions as I had almost run out of time. But overall, I had a good feeling about the quant section.

During the breaks, I went to the restroom, had a bar of chocolate, and a glass of water.

Verbal section started of pretty well. But to my astonishment, the 6th or 7th question was a tremendously difficult, long, vocab intensive RC with 4 questions. (Now when I reflect back I think this one might have been an Experimental Question) I lost more that 10-12minutes on this one. SC and CR questions were on the tougher side. Comparatively, difficult that the OG12 problems and the GMATPrep questions. Mid way through I got another long RC followed by 4 questions. This one was not as tough as the previous one. In all, I got 4 RC (2 long with 4 questions and 2 short with 3 questions). I had 1 minute each for the last 10 questions. Almost panicked. 1 short RC(3questions), 2CR questions. But most of them(5) were SCs and I was quite confident about those. My second last question was a bold faced question CR question and the last question was a SC question. Thought I was doing ok. But when I saw the score 610 (v48 q27), I felt as if my life was shattered. Completely socked! Took me a few minutes for the score to sink in.

Request:
I have resumed work and plan to take the GMAT again in about a months time. I will be able to devote about 3 hours on weekdays and the entire weekend. I am hoping for some good tips/suggestions from the instructors to improve my GMAT score to a 700-730 level. I would highly appreciate your help in this regard.

Ron/Stacey,
I am really looking forward to your suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Mist