Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
mucool
Students

Argument: Where to put "to strengthen the ..."

by mucool Sat May 23, 2009 8:09 pm

I've heard that there should be one paragraph that outlines what would 'strengthen' the argument.

Is one of the following approaches to including that content preferable?

1) Have a separate paragraph just before the final concluding paragraph that outlines two-three ways in which the argument could be strengthened?

OR

2) At the end of each body paragraph that points a weakness in the argument, suggest one way in which the argument could be strengthened for that particular point.

Please suggest some synonyms for transitional words or phrases as well. I'm getting bored having to repeat that the argument is "weak" three-four times in a single essay :)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Argument: Where to put "to strengthen the ..."

by StaceyKoprince Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 pm

You can do it either way. I personally do it at the end of each paragraph, because it's both easier for me to write it that way and it's easier for the reader to follow what I'm saying. The former means I'm fresher for the multiple choice portion of the test and the latter means it's easier for me to get a better score. :)

Synonyms really depend upon what words you're using in the first place, and that depends upon your writing style. Open up a Word document and copy in some of your recent essays. Then use the Thesaurus tool on various words throughout to get some appropriate synonyms.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep