If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
WilliamP491
Course Students

Are parents teaching at the school an advantage?

by WilliamP491 Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi all, just wanted to get some input as to how important it is to the admission process that I have a parent who is a professor at a university I want to apply to. The school has a top15 MBA program, and my parent is in a different academic area entirely (Biostats).

I have a low GPA of 2.7, and multiple practice tests indicate a 700-720 range GMAT. Is having a parent at the school a big plus in terms of admissions? If so, what are some ways I can leverage this? Thanks!
AndrewF182
Course Students

Re: Are parents teaching at the school an advantage?

by AndrewF182 Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 am

I don't know about admissions, but I would imagine you would either get a hefty discount or free tuition. I have a friend who studied hospital management at a school where his dad was a political science prof. His tuition was free, in large part due to his dad's position in the University.
WilliamP491
Course Students

by WilliamP491 Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 pm

AndrewF182 Wrote:I don't know about admissions, but I would imagine you would either get a hefty discount or free tuition. I have a friend who studied hospital management at a school where his dad was a political science prof. His tuition was free, in large part due to his dad's position in the University.

Thanks for the reply Andrew, good to know!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi there,

That's a tough one-- 'officially' likely the answer is no, that it shouldn't make a huge difference, but in reality in plenty of situations it would, and that's true at many universities there are tuition benefits for professors (your dad would have to look into that). There's no real formal way to leverage per se, but certainly it will be evident on your app that asks for parent occupation, and if your father knows anyone in admissions or wants to just give them a heads up, why not. Final thought-- hopefully it should give you the chance to really share how much you KNOW and love the school as you theoretically have or could have exposure to the university beyond the average applicant--- really showing how well you can see yourself at a specific school can help a small amount. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
WilliamP491
Course Students

by WilliamP491 Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm

You are most welcome. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php