The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
JonieMBA2B
Course Students

Are 6 weeks enough for a retake?

by JonieMBA2B Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

I took the GMAT for the first time on 3/24 and scored a 510 - 27 Q, 33 - V. Not thrilled at all.

I wonder if 6 weeks are enough to improve my score. Otherwise, if I take the test in June, I would need new books for the new section.

Is it worth it to get new books and take the new test in June or should I just take the 6 weeks and retake it then?

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it.
If I can pass the CPA exam, I can beat the GMAT.
timur.ivannikov
Students

Re: Are 6 weeks enough for a retake?

by timur.ivannikov Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 am

Hey,

Not knowing your background, it still seems very likely that you can get to 600 by studying the quant section for 6 weeks and brushing up on the verbal section only a little. If you want to get beyond 600, you will likely need to study until June.

T
JonieMBA2B
Course Students

by JonieMBA2B Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks T!

Would you recommend getting new books then? The new section starts in June.
timur.ivannikov
Students

by timur.ivannikov Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 pm

No problem, I completely missed the fact that GMAT has a new section that will replace one of the essays. Yes, I would recommend getting 1 book for that one new section.

For all other sections, I think you're probably better off using the guides you have and then practicing test questions. The great advantage of using the existing guides is that you're already familiar with them and reading them thoroughly will help you focus on the actual GMAT content instead of the guide layout, new testing tips, and etc.... I would also recommend taking practice tests to gauge your progress.

Cheers.
JonieMBA2B
Course Students

by JonieMBA2B Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks again. You've been helpful. Now to plan this out and BEAT the GMAT!!