If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MatthewJ880
Course Students

Applying to B School without work experience.

by MatthewJ880 Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 pm

I am currently enrolled in the Manhattan Gmat 9 week course. My question is whether or not I'm making the right decision choosing business school when I have not entered the work force since graduating from Hofstra business school two years ago. I currently am working on changing that by either getting an internship or a full/part time job that relates to my major which was Entrepreneurship (I would preferably like to find a job in market research or one that is more closely related to finance which is what I choose to study in grad school). My lapse in work is for multiple reasons, but mainly not know what I wanted out of life. I started with this course out of fear that my lapse in schooling would prevent me from being hired. Is it prudent to continue with my current course and take the GMAT knowing that it is harder to get into a top B school without having prior work experience ?
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Applying to B School without work experience.

by mbamissionjenK Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi there,

Well one thing to keep in mind regarding the GMAT is that scores are valid for 5 years. So... since you've started the process and course, I'd suggest sticking with it and really nailing that GMAT and that can help you whenever you apply.

Regarding your situation, if I'm understanding right, you graduated 2 years ago but have not worked... that will likely be a big challenge to overcome if you were to apply now. I would definitely get a full time job asap that relates to your future career and get some experience under your belt. Not only will it help with admissions, it will also help you personally to better figure out what you think your career path will look like. Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php