RonPurewal
Students

Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed

by RonPurewal Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:01 am

zhanghan.neu Wrote:Is there a difference in meaning between:
1) The first pulsar to be sighted
and
2) The first pulsar sighted

not really ... and that's why you don't (and won't) see a split between those.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 am

Gellar Wrote:Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

(A) Same

(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted.

(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.

(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.

(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

The OA is D. Is "sighted plusar" better than "to be sighted", since the pulsar has alreadly been sighted?
Meanwhile, what's wrong with choice E? Thanks

VERY clear error in E is that graduate student is not the first person to see the star.

whenever we see a different structure without grammar error, ask ourself is there any distortion in meaning relation between two actions (the actions can be presented by tense verb, verbal without tense-doing,do-ed,and to do , or action noun)
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:
Gellar Wrote:Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

(A) Same

(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted.

(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.

(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.

(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

The OA is D. Is "sighted plusar" better than "to be sighted", since the pulsar has alreadly been sighted?

VERY clear error in E is that graduate student is not the first person to see the star.

whenever we see a different structure without grammar error, ask ourself is there any distortion in meaning relation between two actions (the actions can be presented by tense verb, verbal without tense-doing,do-ed,and to do , or action noun)

I think that is the correct meaning of the sentence here. There's a lot of other discussion here on why E is wrong.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
AbhilashM94
Students

by AbhilashM94 Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 am

Ron,

Is there a tense issue in (C) w/ had not been

is had really necessary?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 am

AbhilashM94 Wrote:Ron,

is had really necessary?

You're right; "had not been" is incorrect in that choice. Should be "was not".
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:37 am

(A) Same

past perfect is used to show an action happening before and continue into a point of past time. in choice D, simple past is used. what do we learn from this usage of simple past? pls, explain more
CrystalSpringston
Students

by CrystalSpringston Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:54 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
Gellar Wrote:The OA is D. Is "sighted plusar" better than "to be sighted", since the pulsar has alreadly been sighted?

no, 'to be sighted' is better for at least two reasons.

(1) 'first NOUN to be VERBed' is generally the preferred form in discussing the results of human efforts/actions/interference/perception/etc., while 'first VERBed NOUN' is generally used to indicate inherent qualities of the noun.
for instance, the following sentence is preferred:
henry bishop was the first musician to be knighted by a british monarch. --> knighting is performed by humans
the following is NOT preferred:
henry bishop was the first knighted musician in britain. --> this makes it seem as though being 'knighted' is an inherent quality with which henry bishop was born, or that he acquired it naturally/accidentally in some other way

(2) the word 'sighted' means 'having the sense of sight', so this sentence also contains the amusing alternative interpretation of referring to a pulsar that can actually see.

Gellar Wrote:Meanwhile, what's wrong with choice E? Thanks

first of all, the word 'discovery' is missing. that's a crucial shift in meaning: it's the discovery, not the pulsar itself, that was 'announced'.
also, the word 'while' - which is sometimes used to indicate contrast - creates a strange ambiguity here: on first reading, it appears to suggest that the announcement (which took place in '68) happened during the summer of '67; this is the usual sense of 'while' occurring in this place in a sentence. (normally, if used to mark contrast, 'while' appears in front of a sentence.)

Hi Ron,I failed to understand the error of "while" based on your explanation. If while functioned as a contrast here, I think it described that the annoucement was in 1968 but the observation was in 1967. It seemed quite fine here...
Pls help me . because I am not a native speaker...
Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:00 am

if 'while' is used for contrast, then it indicates that contrast IN ADDITION TO simultaneity. it's specifically used to describe two contrasting things that are simultaneously true.

yes that's awfully specific, but we can afford that kind of specificity because there are plenty of other contrast transitions (whereas, but, although, even though, yet, etc.) to describe situations that don't fit the 'simultaneity' criterion.
CrystalSpringston
Students

by CrystalSpringston Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:54 am

RonPurewal Wrote:if 'while' is used for contrast, then it indicates that contrast IN ADDITION TO simultaneity. it's specifically used to describe two contrasting things that are simultaneously true.

yes that's awfully specific, but we can afford that kind of specificity because there are plenty of other contrast transitions (whereas, but, although, even though, yet, etc.) to describe situations that don't fit the 'simultaneity' criterion.

Ron, good to learn that this SIMULTANEITY property of "WHILE". On the context, it is obviously not a suitable conjuction here.

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:03 am

yes.
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:50 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:if 'while' is used for contrast, then it indicates that contrast IN ADDITION TO simultaneity. it's specifically used to describe two contrasting things that are simultaneously true.

Ron sir you are too great. I have already scored 740 and not trying to cross 760+ as i will be applying to PHD in tier 1 Business schools. believe me this time I am only studying your comments and discussions in SC and this is altogether new learning curve for me. Thank you so much for bringing priceless value in our lives. We all students are grateful to you.

Thank You so much sir.
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Ron is wonderful.
Every time he replies my post, i always fall short of words to thank him.
I think those words just don't exist in vocabulary.
God bless you Ron.
God bless you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:13 am

RichaChampion Wrote:Ron sir you are too great. I have already scored 740 and not trying to cross 760+ as i will be applying to PHD in tier 1 Business schools. believe me this time I am only studying your comments and discussions in SC and this is altogether new learning curve for me. Thank you so much for bringing priceless value in our lives. We all students are grateful to you.

Thank You so much sir.

well, thanks for the kind words -- i appreciate it.
Neko_Yin
Students

by Neko_Yin Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:12 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
AbhilashM94 Wrote:Ron,

is had really necessary?

You're right; "had not been" is incorrect in that choice. Should be "was not".

Hi Ron,
I always look for a past time to justify the use of the past perfect tense. And in "it had not been announced until February 1968", I found a past time 1968, which made me think "had not been" is correct.
However, several questions like this one proved that I was wrong. I think maybe I made a mistake of focusing on a only part of the time frame and missing the whole. But I'm not sure.
Now I think:
1) something like "Clause A and Clause B"
in this situation, I can decide the time frame separately in A and B.
2) but when the situation is "Main clause A, subordinate clause B",
I should consider A and B together.
Please tell me whether my thought is in the right way. Thank you in advance.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:15 am

Although it's good to consider time frames and the relations between clauses, the rules that you wrote down are too simplistic: there are lots of easy counterexamples - see if you can think of some.

I would encourage you to think simply about tenses. There are a few basic rules (check out the SC strategy guide chapter 8), and then you can refine your knowledge with experience of GMAT questions. It's good that you're engaging with the issues, but don't go too far: trying to deduce all the rules of English grammar is too big a project!