If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
JeffreyE238
Course Students

Alternative Transcript

by JeffreyE238 Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 am

Applying to top 15 schools with 5 years of experience within the tech industry in progressing business development/operations roles. I have had the good fortune of being at a few different firms that make for a unique story.

I am looking to go back to school to obtain my MBA to pursue a career in a Technology Industry Group at an Investment Bank.

I recently applied to 3 top 15 programs in 2017 as apart of their last round of applications (March). 3 waitlists without interview.

GMAT 710 Q47 V 41
Undergraduate GPA: 2.81 in social science major
Strong Professional Recommendations
Former Division 1 Athlete

I was a liberal arts major who had a few major events of adversity affect me during my undergraduate studies. I took the chance to write about this in my optional essay. I also was participating in a very demanding varsity sport.

My question is this: I would like to build an alternative transcript and apply in Round 1 next year to improve my chances. I think it will help significantly considering poor performance in two specific courses (Accounting and Economics) during my undergrad studies. I am looking at taking courses and wanted an opinion on how AdComms view online coursework versus in-person? I was thinking of potentially taking courses at the UCLA Extension online program due to a travel schedule 3-4 weekdays per week. If it was that much more favorable to take classes at a local community college in person, i could accommodate but only if there is considerable upside? Do Adcoms view supplemental coursework with an online program similarly to UCLA extension with the same merit as a local community college course?

Thanks.
mbaMissionNishaT
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Alternative Transcript

by mbaMissionNishaT Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi, and thanks for writing! Round 3 is very competitive, so it's wise to apply again in Round 1. Regarding your alternative transcript - I would say that either online or in-person is fine, as long as it's from a reputable institution that grants grades/degrees (so online from UCLA would work). Have you taken Statistics in undergrad? If not, I would recommend that over Econ; Statistics and Accounting would be a good combination and also would help you get ready for the MBA core curriculum. Your solid GMAT score will definitely help mitigate your lower GPA (as will the optional essay) but taking these two courses would further show the adcom that you're prepared for the rigors of the MBA program.

Hope that helps!
Nisha