If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
KananA102
Students

Alternative Transcript

by KananA102 Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Hello,

My name is Kanan. I am 22 years old. I am planning to apply to MBA programs in 3 years. MY UGPA (Management) is 2.76. My master's GPA (Real Estate Finance) is 4.0 from Georgetown University. My GMAT is 770. My undergraduate GPA is low due to some financial problems in my family. However, this experience helped me to open my own business back in my country that helped me pay for my school. I am currently an entrepreneur and manage my multi-million dollar company. I am planning to apply to H/S/W or London Business School. Honestly, I am not planning to apply to business school to change my job field or increase my "salary," and therefore, I do not need a diploma from non-top business school. I am planning to take around 8 extra classes to build an alternative transcript with the most important pre-MBA classes (accounting, finance, math, statistics, and etc.) to prove that my UGPA does not fully represent my ability to learn. Do you think it is a good idea? Will it actually increase my chances? Is it worth spending my time on these classes and get all As? Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kanan.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Alternative Transcript

by mbamissionjenK Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi there,

It sounds like you fully understand your primary weakness, of the u-grad GPA... your GMAT is excellent which is good as it's more recent, and your entrepreneurial experience sounds strong as does the grad school GPA. Yes I'd support building an alternative transcript, at least a couple of classes. But since you have a lot of time, I'd also encourage you to go ahead and speak with admissions officers, go to info sessions and MBA fairs and discuss your situation with them... there's a chance you'll get some insight on their take on the courses you plan to take and your situation etc, especially since you're doing early research (i.e. you are not applying right now and asking them for immediate feedback etc), and if you chat with them one-to-one. It's worth a try! Other than that continue to build your leadership experiences, and consider community involvement, and research the schools and make connections with current students... best wishes to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php