If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
bf

Alternative Transcript

by bf Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:03 pm

The alternative transcript is a fairly new concept to me, and I have a few questions that I was hoping to receive some guidance on:

(i) To what extent do B-schools value it?
(ii) Does it make a difference if one takes a graduate course for non-matriculated students vs. continuing education for professionals (non- credit courses that provide grades?)
(iii) Is the institution a factor in building an alt. transcript?
(iv) How many courses would one recommend taking so that an admissions committee thinks the transcript is real?
(v) Finally, are there any suggestions for schools in the New York area that would be amenable to offering classes (i.e. NYU, Fordham,
Baruch?)

My apologies for the long-winded post, and thanks in advance for any help or advice.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:45 pm

An alternative transcript is damage control for a poor GPA. So only build one if your GPA sucked (i.e. below 3.1). If your GPA is okay, don't bother.

There are no hard and fast rules, but a guideline is to take 2 or 3 courses at a local college (NYU, Fordham, Baruch, CUNY, etc. are all fine - so long as they are accredited universities) and ace these courses. And yes, just take the continuing education courses (non-credit) - you won't get brownie points for taking grad courses or anything. You just need to show that you can do well in an academic setting if your GPA sucked in college. As for the kinds of courses, most folks take stuff like accounting, statistics, calculus, and so forth.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
bf

by bf Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:33 pm

thanks alot - very helpful.

question

by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 am

Does it matter if the classes taken are from a community college or a university? The University does not seem to be offering some classes in the summer that I want to take.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:59 pm

jingy77

by jingy77 Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10 pm

thanks Alex. I will look into community colleges.