If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
HutchNGo
Course Students

Alternative Transcript Necessary?

by HutchNGo Sun May 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Ok.
Last edited by HutchNGo on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Alternative Transcript Necessary?

by mbaMissionKate Mon May 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Hello!
Thanks for your question. Quantitative skills are important to demonstrate, as they're an important component of the MBA curriculum. It's hard to say if taking additional courses is necessary in your case -- I'd really like to know more about how low your grades were in those courses and what your overall GPA was. Your GMAT scores are sufficient to demonstrate competence but I do think taking a supplemental course or two would help your profile. I know it can be an investment, but think about it as not just a strategy for getting in, but also as a way for preparing to do well in business school. :)

As for where to take courses, community colleges are a good source (and perhaps more cost effective). There are also lots of online options, like MBAmath.com and Berkeley extension online. Just make sure the course is one that you get a grade -- being able to show you got an A is far more important than just completing the course!

One more thought -- not sure what industry / role you're currently in, but that's another way to demonstrate quantitative skills. So think about how you can highlight that on your resume and in your recommendations.

Hope this helps and keep us posted if you have any other questions!!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
HutchNGo
Course Students

by HutchNGo Mon May 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Ok
Last edited by HutchNGo on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue May 05, 2015 10:12 am

It sounds like it would benefit you. Also, don't feel like you need to create a whole new transcript, perhaps just start with one course and then if it goes well, take another one or two. Generally, accredited options are best so I think local schools or the options through Berkeley/UCLA are slightly preferred. But I know many other applicants use online options such as MBAmath.com (or Coursera is another one), and they have had good results. Really depends on what works best with your schedule and budget but I think either way the AdCom will recognize the effort that you are making to improve your application. Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php