If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
clarence.booth
Course Students

Algebra Strategy Guide, Chp. 3 - Exponents

by clarence.booth Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi,

I need help on solving the following problem in the Alg. Strat, Guide in Chp. 3, pg. 45:

#9. If m and n are positive integers and (2^18)(5^m) = (20^n), what is the value of m?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Clarence
anshul04
Course Students

Re: Algebra Strategy Guide, Chp. 3 - Exponents

by anshul04 Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:59 am

This can be solved easily by simplifying the given equation, as shown below:

(2^18)(5^m) = (20^n)
(2^18)(5^m) = (2 x 2 x 5)^n
(2^18)(5^m) = (2^2 x 5)^n
(2^18)(5^m) = (2^(2n)) (5^n)

When we are at this point (means - same bases, 2 & 5, on either side of equation), the respective exponents on either side should also match. That is,
18 = 2n, and m = n

Solving this gives us m = n = 9.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks, Anshul! Let us know if there are any further questions on this one.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 am

anshul04 Wrote:This can be solved easily

Though you probably didn't intend it this way, your use of "easily" (which I've noticed in your other postings, too) is likely to be insulting to the original poster, to whom this obviously wasn't "easy".

Helpful user contributions are always welcome on the math forum, but please keep in mind that people are posting here in the first place because they can't "easily" solve the problems.
anshul04
Course Students

by anshul04 Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:50 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
anshul04 Wrote:This can be solved easily

Though you probably didn't intend it this way, your use of "easily" (which I've noticed in your other postings, too) is likely to be insulting to the original poster, to whom this obviously wasn't "easy".

Helpful user contributions are always welcome on the math forum, but please keep in mind that people are posting here in the first place because they can't "easily" solve the problems.

Although I never had any intention to insult anybody here (or anywhere, for that matter), your point is still well taken. I'll be more careful of "my selection" of words in future so that people don't take my statements with unintended meaning.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks, and we look forward to further contributions from you on the forum!
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

anshul04 Wrote:Although I never had any intention to insult anybody here (or anywhere, for that matter), your point is still well taken. I'll be more careful of "my selection" of words in future so that people don't take my statements with unintended meaning.

Yeah. Understood that it wasn't intended that way—most likely, you just never thought about it from that angle at all. No worries.

This test is a deeply emotional thing for lots of aspirants, so it's best to keep the vibe as encouraging as possible.

Thanks for visiting!
clarence.booth
Course Students

by clarence.booth Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Anshul, thanks for the help. Your explanation on a previous problem (#8) helped with the approach on this problem (#9):

"For most of the problems involving exponents, I normally take one basic approach - simplify the given equation / expression to consolidate common base(s) (by adding / subtracting / multiplying exponents) so that I have the given expression / equation in its most simplified form. Once I have that, it's just a matter of few seconds to figure out the right answer."

Same thing here: set bases and exponents equal to each other on both sides by simplifying the equation.

The light bulb turned on!

CB
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 am

:)
Tim Sanders