Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
brij.jhu
Students

Alan Barney hourly wage

by brij.jhu Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Alan’s regular hourly wage is 1.5 times Barney’s regular hourly wage, but Barney gets paid at twice his regular wage for any hours he works on Saturday. Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day. If Alan and Barney worked the same total number of hours last week, and earned the same total in wages, which of the following must be true?

I. Alan worked fewer hours Monday through Friday than did Barney.
II. Barney worked at least one hour on Saturday.
III. Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan.

The correct answer given is II. But there's nothing in the question that disqualifies the case where both Alan and Barney worked 0(zero) hours for the entire week, in which case II is also false.
amitganguly2k12
Forum Guests

Re: Alan Barney hourly wage

by amitganguly2k12 Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

brij.jhu Wrote:Alan’s regular hourly wage is 1.5 times Barney’s regular hourly wage, but Barney gets paid at twice his regular wage for any hours he works on Saturday. Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day. If Alan and Barney worked the same total number of hours last week, and earned the same total in wages, which of the following must be true?

Assume daily working hours = 5 (Monday-Friday) for both Alan and Barney.
Assume Per hour Wage for Barney = $10.
Therefore Per hour wage for Allan = $15.

Let Allan work for x number of hours on Saturday,so that the Weekly total wages for Allan and Barney are equal.

that means 15 * 6 * 5 hrs (Allan's weekly wage Mon - Sat ) = (10 * 5 (days) * 5 hrs) + (10 * 2 * x)

By solving you get x = 10hrs.

So you can observe :

1.Barney has to work at-least an Hour on Saturday for the wages to be 'closer numerically but not equal'.

2.'Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan' - that will be clearly case sensitive as it will depend upon the numerical difference between the wages till Friday.
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 pm

brij.jhu Wrote:The correct answer given is II. But there's nothing in the question that disqualifies the case where both Alan and Barney worked 0(zero) hours for the entire week, in which case II is also false.

You may have a valid concern here. On the one hand, the use of the past tense verbs "worked" and "earned" implies that both did in fact work at least 1 hour and both earned some money. On the other hand, in common speech, unemployed people may say "I earned $0 last week" or "I worked 0 hours last week." I still think you'd be more likely to hear the verb in the negative: "I did not earn any money last week" or "I did not work last week" but a math question probably shouldn't split hairs like this.

I'm going to refer this one to our curriculum group for review. Thanks for the critical thinking!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
gauragar
Students

by gauragar Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 am

III Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan.

Seems to be also true. As if both Alen and Barney worked for some hours, then for wages to be equal, Barney has to definitely earn more on Saturday the Alen.
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 am

mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:14 am

"III Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan.

Seems to be also true. As if both Alen and Barney worked for some hours, then for wages to be equal, Barney has to definitely earn more on Saturday the Alen."

No. Suppose that Alan worked 12 hours Saturday, all at $15/hr, while Barney worked 6 hours M-F at $10/hr, and 6 hours Saturday at $20/hr. That satisfies all the conditions, but Alan earned more on Saturday than does Barney.
rajatsureka
Students

by rajatsureka Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 am

I have a small doubt to clarify

the question says "Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day". Doesn't it mean that both of them worked equal number of hours on any day. Or, does it mean that the cumulative number of hours on any given day is equal?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:18 pm

rajatsureka Wrote:I have a small doubt to clarify

the question says "Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day". Doesn't it mean that both of them worked equal number of hours on any day. Or, does it mean that the cumulative number of hours on any given day is equal?

To me it means that each man works an integer number of hours. Each man may work a different number of hours from the number the other works, but neither works a non-integer number of hours (for example, neither works 3.5 hours).
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
sabyasachi.nayak8
Forum Guests

by sabyasachi.nayak8 Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:19 pm

A small doubt, may be a silly one:
Is it possible that the previous week Allan worked 6 hrs a day Monday through Friday and Barney worked for 9 hrs a day Monday to Friday?
If this scenario is possible then both of them will end up earning the same amount without B having to work on a Saturday.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:43 am

But then they're not working the same number of hours. Check the constraints of the problem.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:20 pm

you can actually solve this problem without doing any math. in fact you needn't realize anything beyond the following:

• B's usual wage is lower than A's.

• for the week under discussion, B's average wage is the same as A's.

• therefore, B must have gotten 'bonus' wages.

• B only gets 'bonus' wages on saturdays.

there you go.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 pm

here, you can make further realizations, too.

let's say that B's usual wage (paid on non-saturdays) is 'x' dollars/hour.
then, on saturdays, B makes 2x dollars/hour.

B's average wage for the whole week is 1.5x dollars/hour (since it's the same as A's average wage).

this is exactly halfway between x and 2x. thus we have a weighted average with equal 'weights'.

...in other words, B must have worked as many hours on saturday alone as he worked for the entire rest of the week combined.

that's one heck of a saturday... O:

--

of course, this is WAY too much reasoning for the problem at hand. for the current problem there's little point in going beyond what i wrote in the previous post.

however, in reviewing this problem it's useful to delve further into what's happening, since whatever you discover might help you on future problems.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 pm

oh, and, finally—no, you do not need to worry about 'zero hours worked'. 'tricky' cases will NEVER matter on the exam.

i wrote about this here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p116154
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:27 am

RonPurewal Wrote:...in other words, B must have worked as many hours on saturday alone as he worked for the entire rest of the week combined.

Sounds like the life of a math tutor. I look forward to Mondays because I do the vast majority of my work on the weekends. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:38 pm

tim Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:...in other words, B must have worked as many hours on saturday alone as he worked for the entire rest of the week combined.

Sounds like the life of a math tutor. I look forward to Mondays because I do the vast majority of my work on the weekends. :)

i actually look forward to my work.

(;