If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Sheldon

Age Consideration at Business Schools

by Sheldon Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Is it a plus, minus or non-factor for one to attempt admittance to a top school (GSB, Kellogg) coming from a non-business industry in his/her late 30s?

I am in this situation with five years military experience and eight years engineering design experience. The GMAT is coming up and I building a solid package for m application, but I am curious to know how an older individual (late 30s, early 40s) fares among the late twenty-somethings.

P.S. I am thinking about the part time program, if that matters.

Sheldon
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:32 pm

For part-time, it really doesn't matter at all -- the age ranges in part-time programs are wider than they are in full-time programs, with a lot more folks in their 30s.

Even for full-time, if you were a military veteran, age won't be an issue.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
Sheldon

Follow up to age question

by Sheldon Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. I would like to follow with a two-part question:

1. Will a lack of extra curricular activities hurt me, given an otherwise decent package (resume/experience, GMAT score, recs)?
2. How do potential employers (banking industry mainly) look at part-time degrees? GSB likes to say that the part time and full time programs are identical (inasmuch as the curriculum), but I am thinking there may be differences that do not manifest themselves until graduation.

Thanks again,
Sheldon