If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
JN22
Forum Guests

After scoring a 700 (Q-47, V-40) should I retake the GMATs?

by JN22 Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:49 pm

This probably is a very common question on these forums but I am asking it anyway for some advice. I took the GMATs earlier today and scored a 700 (Q-47, V-40, IR-6). I am a senior software engineer working for a major multinational computer technology corporation based out of California, with a total of four years of work experience. I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Physics (undergrad GPA: 3.5) from DePauw University, a liberal arts college in Indiana, and a masters in Computer Science from Dartmouth.

While I am very happy to have hit the 700 mark, with the help of the MGMAT and a few months of preparation, I feel I fell about 20-30 points short of my target. My scores in the MGMAT practice exams ranged between 650-690 while on official GMAT practice exams I had scores ranging from 710 - 750. I am looking to apply to a few programs in the top 15 . Would you recommend that I retake the exam and try to add another 20-30 points to my score, with the obvious risk of getting a lower score? I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thank you so much!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: After scoring a 700 (Q-47, V-40) should I retake the GMATs?

by mbaMissionKate Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:39 am

Hello! I'm happy to weigh in. First of all, congrats on hitting the 700 mark, that's a great score. I think your score is definitely high enough to demonstrate that you can handle the b-school coursework. Plus you have a strong GPA too which helps. So I don't think you NEED to retake the GMAT to apply to a top 15 program. In fact, you may be able to differentiate yourself even better by demonstrating your leadership potential and having a really compelling story around your career goals, especially since you're coming from a technical field.

But...if you do feel like there is room to increase your score, then it may be worth another shot. Getting a 720/730 would put you much closer (or even above) some of the medians for the top 15 programs. This means that not only can you handle the coursework, but you'd also be helping to increase the school's median, so it can give you a bit of an edge. Also, schools will always take your highest score (I promise :)) so even if you retake and get below 700, there's really no harm to it. I believe you can also cancel your score now once you see it and it will just show up as cancelled on your score report.

Just remember that a high GMAT is not a guarantee though, even if you did get a 720/730, you still need to execute a standout application including everything from your recommendations to your resume to your essay questions. Hope this helps and keep us posted on how things go for you!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
JN22
Forum Guests

by JN22 Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi Kate,
I really appreciate you taking time to reply to my question here, thank you so much! I'll definitely keep this thread updated with what I decide on doing.

Thanks again for your help.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Happy to help and please do keep us posted! Good luck!!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
KakakkdeK400
Prospective Students

by KakakkdeK400 Mon May 25, 2015 10:23 am

A great exchange of information.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue May 26, 2015 12:23 pm

:D
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com