If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
shar10
Course Students

Advice requested: 700 (45q/40v/ir6)

by shar10 Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:02 am

Hi!

I am an Indian American female (US Citizen, grew up in the US) looking to go to a full time MBA program for Marketing/Brand Management. I have enjoyed working the Supply Chain but would like to parlay this experience into brand strategy. Schools that I am interested in are include Duke-Fuqua, Virginia-Darden, UNC-Kenan Flagler, Indiana-Kelley, Wash U-Olin, Emory-Goizuieta, Georgetown-McDonough, Vanderbilt-Owen.

Below is a summary of my background (sorry for the length). I am looking for feedback on the following aspects:
1) Should I take the GMAT again in a month? Looking to apply R1.
2) Are the schools I am looking at a fit for my GMAT score/background?

I have taken the GMAT twice: the first time I scored a 710 (q42/v45/ir6) during summer 2013 and the second time I scored a 700 (q45/v40/ir6) during summer 2014. My overall score did drop 10 points (710 to 700) because of my drop in Verbal from 45 to 40. I'm not sure what to attribute the Verbal drop to beyond just normal variation.

I received dual degrees in Finance and Political Science with my Finance degree from a Big 10 business school ranked within the top 20 (US News World Report, 2014). My overall undergrad GPA was 3.7 and within my Finance courses, I showed an upward trend. I was also asked to serve as a grader for my Options/Futures class my last semester of undergrad.

I currently have 3 years of work experience in Supply Chain at a large CPG company. I have been promoted once during this time and have worked cross-functionally on unique Supply Chain strategy projects with leadership opportunities. My role is likely 50% quantitative (savings analysis, pricing analysis, performance versus targets) and 50% Supply Chain and supplier relationship management focused.

At work, I have been very active with our diversity networks, led committees for special events and led a Professional Development initiative. I have also been active in our Recruiting strategy and co-led a student development/recruiting event. I have found that I have a lot of passion for these activities, largely because of the community building aspect.

Hope this information is helpful in providing some thoughts on the two questions I listed above! Thank you SO much!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Advice requested: 700 (45q/40v/ir6)

by mbamissionjenK Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. So schools do take the highest score, so you're at a 710. As I just mentioned on another post, 710 is a score that could go either way.... it's USUALLY not the sole reason to keep someone out of b-school at that level. ;) And for the schools on your list, you are at or above the average of those programs, so I wouldn't be too worried about the GMAT and I'd likely invest time and energy into your essays and applications at this point.

I would feel pretty good about the chances for you at the schools on your list, with good essays/recommendations/interviews. You have solid work experience that includes promotion/recognition, teamwork, leadership, and quantitative analysis; a high GPA; extracurricular involvement; and schools are generally looking for qualified female applicants.

Wishing you good luck, let us know what else we can do to help and feel free to sign up for a free consultation if desired at any point at http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php (and/or just pop back here with q's).
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
shar10
Course Students

by shar10 Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Thank you for the well thought out response Jennifer! I was likely thinking I was ok to not re-take at this point.

Two additional questions if you don't mind:
- If the 710 is being used by the Admissions Committee, they will still note the Quant score of 45 from the 700 score, correct?
- Any thoughts on UNC Kenan-Flagler's early action program?

Thanks!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Sure thing, happy to help.

So technically they can see the other quant score if they choose to look at your score report; most likely yes they would see it and note it if there were any quant concerns, though can't guarantee it as often they focus on the primary score and the report is more for verification if needed. But better than not having a higher quant score, sure.

And certainly applying early action shows dedication to the school and I would think you'd be considered for that at Kenan-Flagler, let me know what other q's you had about that program. Great university (and I live not far from there currently, lol).

Take care!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php