If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
AmyK141
Students

Advice on what to do??

by AmyK141 Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 am

What to do with my profile and a GMAT 690??

Hi - I was hoping you could provide me some feedback on my profile & sitatuon.

GMAT: 690 (44Q- 57%, 40V- 91%, 5.5 AWA, 3 IR)
GPA: 3.77 at an average University, dual majoring in Econ and International Affairs

I was debating on RD 2 or waiting until I could retake the GMAT (my Q and IR was/is definitely my greatest concern), but I moved forward and applied to 7 programs.

Now I am having some serious self doubt and I am unsure if I should 1. retake the GMAT as soon as possible and submit the scores to the schools that will taken them or 2. be seriously thinking about RD 3 for back ups.
Last edited by AmyK141 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Advice on what to do??

by mbaMissionKate Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi! Thanks for sharing your profile info with us here. Yes, a 690 is below average for the top 10 programs, but it's not completely out of range. Your GPA is excellent, and your work experience sounds incredibly strong and not very typical, so that could be enough for them to overlook a not so stellar GMAT. My primary concern is your Quant -- did you take Quant courses in college? I assume your job involves quant analysis so hopefully your recommenders spoke to those skills. Overall though I could see some schools thinking that Quant score is too much of a red flag. But others I think would outweigh that with all of your other strengths. So it depends partly on which schools you applied to. I guess my advice would be to go ahead and plan to retake the GMAT fairly soon, especially if you've been studying and were scoring higher than 690 on your practice tests. Did you only take it once? I often find a lot of my clients see a bump on their 2nd attempt just because they're used to the test timing, testing center, etc. If you score higher, you can send in the updated score to your R2 school, or use it to apply to some well-chosen schools in R3. I wouldn't rush to apply to backup schools in R3 unless you're really set on attending next year. You should have much better chances if you wait until R1 next year and apply with a higher GMAT. If you'd like to chat more about your specific options, feel free to send me a private message or sign up for a free phone consult here: http://www.mbamission.com/consult/

Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
AmyK141
Students

by AmyK141 Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Kate thanks for the timely response!

I got mainly all As, maybe a B or B+ in my econ or quant classes in college. My recommenders might highlight my quant skills, not 100% sure though. I am pretty confident that I can do better in Q. I have taken the GMAT once before 47Q/35V, way below what I wanted so I cancelled that immediately. I had been scoring 47/48 regularly, and put my main focus on improving V. I messed up my timing on this last test and had to guess the last 3 quant questions. (I know, I know rooky error). Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Since interview decisions come out soon in the next few weeks, does 25 Jan or 1 Feb sound too late to retake?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi again, that's great you've got some solid grades in quant courses. If you were practicing at 47/48, then I think giving it one more shot is worth it. A lot of schools will release their interview invites by the end of January, or early February, so the sooner the better! :) I think Jan 25th should work, and then you can email your unofficial score immediately after you take it.
Good luck, and keep me posted on how it turns out!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
pastap446
Forum Guests

by pastap446 Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:46 am

As Confidus Solutions takes care of all stages of the company registration process, we will assist with finalising the set-up of your company as well. Usually this includes receiving the incorporation documents and any other additional documents that you may require.