Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
nevers711
Forum Guests

About ISSUE~ Should i pick a side or see both sides????

by nevers711 Mon May 17, 2010 6:17 am

Anyone can help me?

Sometimes i found an issue quite difficult to decide which sides is right or wrong. For example, in this issue: whether it is better to work like a team or if a strong leader is needed? I found both sides are OK and it depends on certain situation. However, i was told that we should pick a side when analysing an issue. But I highly believe that both sides are Ok~~~

So, what should i do? One side or both sides? Im wondering that if i choose to analyse both sides, why "issue" is still an "issue"? why don't we call it a "comment"?

THX~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: About ISSUE~ Should i pick a side or see both sides????

by StaceyKoprince Mon May 17, 2010 1:17 pm

It is almost always the case that you could argue either side of any issue they present to us. Technically (according to the rules), you can discuss both sides if you want to.

I strongly recommend that you do NOT do that, however.

Your goal here is to get a "good enough" score using as little brain energy as possible (because the essay score isn't very important).

It's FAR easier to pick one side, think of two examples to support that side, and be done with it. If you try to support both sides, you will have to figure out under which circumstances it's better to do X, then describe and provide examples to support, and under which circumstances it's better to do Y, then describe and provide examples to support. No thanks.

They don't care what you actually think. Nobody's going to come back to you in a year and say, "in your GMAT essay, you said..." :)

This article can help you more:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/12/30/ace-the-essays-no-thanks
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep