Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
rajan

ability to deal with people is as purchasable a commodity?

by rajan Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 am

"The ability to deal with people is as purchasable a commodity as sugar or coffee, and it is worth more than any other commodity under sun" (This is one of the Official Guide issue essay topics)

hi there!

In my opinion, ability to deal with people is not similar to the ability to deal with commodities because people have feelings whereas the commodities do not have similar traits.

Also, we consider something as a commodity when we need to purchase it. If an individual doesnot have the ability to deal with people, he cannot go to the market to purchase it.

what kind of examples will you give in this essay topic?
Please spare a few minutes of your precious time to share views on the above topic. Moreover, you can oppose my views so that we can have diiferent opinions.

Thanks!
Rajan

by Rajan Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:58 am

I suppose others find this topic difficult to reply. please somebody from the staff help me out. What kind of contents/ points would suffice such an essay?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Just from a practical standpoint, I'd probably choose to agree with this one because a "disagree" essay would be a lot harder to write. It would be tough to have a thesis of "the ability to deal with people is not as purchasable as a commodity" - because all I can really do there is point out that you can't literally purchase the ability to deal with people. But the statement is trying to use a metaphor here - not that you can literally go pick up a package of "ability to deal with people" at Office Depot, but that people can learn to be good at this, and can also choose to work with others who are good at this.

My other option for a "disagree" essay would be to come up with some other thing and argue that this thing, not the aiblity to deal with people, is "worth more than any other commodity under the sun." But now I have to think of some entirely new thing, and that's also harder than just agreeing with the statement.

The opening bit of the quote is a little weird, so I'd probably focus on the "worth more" part of the statement. I could use an example of a company for which I worked that had a succession of Executive Directors, all of whom acted as a buffer between the owner of the company, who was terrible at dealing with people, and the rest of us. The company was very successful during this timeframe, even as a succession of people held the post, because they were all very good at dealing with the owner (as well as the employees). Eventually, someone came in who could not manage the owner very well and, within a few months, the company essentially collapsed because so many people quit.

Just one idea!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:53 pm

I tried writing from a practical point of view and was able to quote more examples and eventually able to complete this one.

thanks
rajan
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Excellent, glad to hear it! Even if you get a prompt that feels philosophical, as this one does, try to think of it in as practical a way as you can. That will make your life much easier (and that will help you get a better score).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep