If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
liu1993918
Students

A question about personal statement

by liu1993918 Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:20 am

I just read the guide of personal statement and I am confused about one thing. Hope you can help me, please.
Actually, I am not applying for MBA, but MSF. The question lies on this.
The guide of personal statement tells me that the stated goals need to show very clear direction and purpose.
My question is that do you think that the applicants who apply for a MS program will need do the same to the personal statement? Can I have more general goals?
My problem is that I don't have such a clear and specific goal. I am a Chinese and my major in university is Economics. I learned a lot of theoretical knowledges in university. And my goal to apply for a MSF program is to study some practical things that will help me do a better job in the future. I want to decide my specific field after I go to graduate school and have deeper understanding. There are better teachers and more comprehensive knowledges in America, also I can interact with a lot of foreign people, that may help me get into an international company or someone who help an America company get into the Chinese market.
If I cannot write a a kind of general goal in my essay, can u give me some advises?
In my view, spending a lot time to think about my specific goal in the future will interfere my applying process and also is an impossible mission for me now
Or should I just lie a little bit in my essay?
Thanks in advance. :?
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: A question about personal statement

by mbamissionjenK Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi there,

I understand your concerns, and you do have a lot of reasons you'd like to apply as you described, so no matter what be sure to explain those! A few additional thoughts on your question:

-It's generally true that having a clear career vision is even MORE important for applying for an MBA program than for many other types of masters degrees

-That said, it's more ideal to at least have a ROUGH idea of what you might do, since arguably you may not want to invest all that time and effort into a degree if you had NO idea if it would be useful, right?

-I would be sure to carefully answer the question/s you are asked on each program's application. Some may focus more, or less, on your specific goals, so follow the guidelines.

-You can also reach out to alumni of the specific program for some more insight into what they did and any advice they have!

Good luck! Let us know if we can help further.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php