If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
liu1993918
Students

A question about “listing honors”

by liu1993918 Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:18 am

Hi,instructors.

Two of the schools that I am going to apply for asked me to"list any honors or scholastic awards you have received and extra-curricular activities in which you have participated. ".
I am confused whether I need to list ALL the honors and scholastic awards even some of them are not related to academic, like Photography Competition.
Also, I am confused whether I need to provide a context of the awards and extra-curricular activities.
Or just copied them from my resume?

Thanks in advance.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: A question about “listing honors”

by mbaMissionKate Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:15 am

Hi,
No you don't need to list everything. In fact, some schools limit the number you can list (e.g., three awards, or three college extracurriculars) so pick the ones that either are most meaningful / significant to you, or ones that showcase skills they are looking for like leadership. Extracurriculars typically means things outside your academic classes and awards so any student clubs, volunteer work, or things like the photography competition you mentioned. They will typically ask for a short description of the criteria for an award, or your role / invovlement with the activity, but if there is no allotted space for that, then you don't need to provide anything additional.
Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
liu1993918
Students

by liu1993918 Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks, Kate.

I am still confused a little bit.
I already include some awards and extra-curricular activities in my resume. Is it repetitive to include them again in the list?
If it is, can you give some suggestions to deal with problem, please?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:42 pm

No it's OK if you repeat some. I like to think of the resume as the top highlights of all your accomplishments, and that should include some of your extracurriculars and awards. And then if they don't all fit on the resume, you can list any others on the application itself.
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php