If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
liu1993918
Students

A question about essay.

by liu1993918 Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:30 am

Hi,
I am confused about my WPI's essays.
It asked two questions:
1. Please discuss your background, interests, academic intent, and the reasons you feel you would benefit from WPI's graduate program in your field(4000 character limit)
2. Please tell us how you became interested in graduate study at WPI? (2000 character limit)
I know how to answer the 1st question, because it is actually a personal statement.
The 2nd question is tricky because the content of the 2nd question could be repetitive for the content of the 1st question.
Can you give me some advice on how to write the 2nd question?
Thanks in advance.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: A question about essay.

by mbamissionjenK Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi there,

Good question and there are a few ways you could go with it; I'd actually take the 2nd q to be more about the SPECIFIC school (vs other programs); how did you learn about it, how did you decide it was right for you, show a real connection to the school by showing what you know about it. Talk to recent students/alum and get feedback on all aspects including the student culture etc. And touch more on that decision process to apply/attend. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
liu1993918
Students

by liu1993918 Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks for your reply.
It sounds like that I should tell a STORY in the 2nd question.
Instead of saying what resources I found and how would them help me, I should talk about the process of finding those resources and their benefits.
Am I right?
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:39 am

I would say yes to more of a story, but I would also still focus on how and why the specific aspects of the school will benefit you, if that makes sense?
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
liu1993918
Students

by liu1993918 Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:37 am

Thanks for your reply, Jennifer.

I am still confused about the 1st question: please discuss your background, interests, academic intent, and the reasons you feel you would benefit from WPI's graduate program in your field.
It did not ask me to write about my short-term and long-term goals at all. However, I think I should still briefly discuss my short-term goal, so that I could discuss what resources could benefit my goal. Am I right?
Also, if I write about "how and why the specific aspects of the school will benefit you" in the 2nd question, isn't it repetitive to write about the "reasons you feel you would benefit from this program"?

Thanks in advance.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi there,

Yes I would touch on goals for the 1st q.

For the 2nd q start off with the focus on how you found out about it and why you feel it's different from other schools.

That said-- you can certainly reach out to their admissions team with your q's... they appreciate realizing that their q's may be slightly confusing! We've even seen instances where an applicant asks some follow-up q's and the school adjusts the essay q wording in response! ;)

Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com